Do Japan's nuclear power plants pose a threat to the UK?

You didn't even read mel's post correctly. You read what you thought was there.

A lesson for everyone there I think.

No I read it correctly. He had me pinned for some reason as anti-nuclear, why I have no idea.

If he didn't then he's had plenty of time to correct it but hasn't bothered.

ooh look another one

"http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/18/japan-reaches-race-clock-avert-nuclear-disaster/"

"The hallmarks of a level 5 emergency are severe damage to a reactor core, release of large quantities of radiation with a high probability of "significant" public exposure or several deaths from radiation. The alert level applied to reactors No.1, No. 2 and No. 3 at the troubled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant.

The scale defines a level 4 incident as having local consequences, while a level 5 incident can bring wider consequences."

and fox news is not normally a news service i use no matter how fair and balanced they say they are

No I read it correctly. He had me pinned for some reason as anti-nuclear, why I have no idea.

id really go back and reread my post before you make a bigger tit of yourself

No I read it correctly.

No you didn't. You've read it incorrectly twice now (assuming you bothered to check and re-read it)

You see what you want to see, you need to learn to read more carefully!

He had me pinned for some reason as anti-nuclear, why I have no idea.

He didn't, quite the opposite in fact:

Read his post

so neither of us are experts, personally id rather trust the experts ive heard from on the subject rather than somebody who just comes across as a rabid anti anti nuclear protestor

And now read it again:

so neither of us are experts, personally id rather trust the experts ive heard from on the subject rather than somebody who just comes across as a rabid anti anti nuclear protestor

See?

No you didn't. You've read it incorrectly twice now (assuming you bothered to check and re-read it)

You see what you want to see, you need to learn to read more carefully!

He didn't, quite the opposite in fact:

Read his post

And now read it again:

See?

i was gonna post it again but i couldnt really be bothered :P

ooh look another one

"http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/18/japan-reaches-race-clock-avert-nuclear-disaster/"

"The hallmarks of a level 5 emergency are severe damage to a reactor core, release of large quantities of radiation with a high probability of "significant" public exposure or several deaths from radiation. The alert level applied to reactors No.1, No. 2 and No. 3 at the troubled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant.

The scale defines a level 4 incident as having local consequences, while a level 5 incident can bring wider consequences."

and fox news is not normally a news service i use no matter how fair and balanced they say they are

Again more facts without comprehension from people.

Do you understand the rating criteria for an INES5 incident? The current one is being driven by the radiation release figures - not the liklehood of fatalities.

xenon 133 is used in medicine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon-133

the half life of xenon-133 is just over 5 days, so it seems unlikely that any they found in sacramento came from japan

More on that xenon.

AFP has more on that "miniscule" amount of radiation detected in California. "Miniscule quantities of the radioactive isotope xenon-133" were picked up by a monitor in Sacramento. "The origin was determined to be consistent with a release from the Fukushima reactors in northern Japan," the Environmental Protection Agency is quoted as saying in a joint statement with the Department of Energy.

xenon 133 is used in medicine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon-133

the half life of xenon-133 is just over 5 days, so it seems unlikely that any they found in sacramento came from japan

I'd beg to differ - it will be released from the core inventory and is detectable - they monitor for it to detected bomb testing and they detected the Xe released from North Koreas bomb for example.

It's just that the detection method is so sensitive that they could easily detect it if it appeared - it doesnt indicate that there has been any measurable difference in radiation actually there.

Archived