Do Japan's nuclear power plants pose a threat to the UK?

Someone pointed out to me that the greatest liklehood of harm will come from China. People here are eating large - perhaps even lethal doses of iodised table salt in the erroneous belief that it will protect them from a radiation threat that doesn't even exist. But that's what you get with reading facts without understanding what they mean sadly.

Someone pointed out to me that the greatest liklehood of harm will come from China. People here are eating large - perhaps even lethal doses of iodised table salt in the erroneous belief that it will protect them from a radiation threat that doesn't even exist. But that's what you get with reading facts without understanding what they mean sadly.

seems its starting to exist..........in Tokyo as well as Fukishima

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12825342

Tokyo's tap water is unfit for babies to drink after radiation from Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant affected the capital's water supply, officials said.

Radioactive iodine levels in some areas were twice the recommended safe level.

People in Fukushima prefecture, where the nuclear plant is located, have been told not to eat certain vegetables because of contamination worries.

My bold - Obelix was talking about the risks to people in China overdosing on salt as a precaution for a non-existant risk. Not those in Japan taking precautions against an existing risk.

Anyway, the radiation level is only too high for babies under 1 year of age, who have a much reduced radiation level allowed.

Slightly less paniccy coverage here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/23/tokyo_tapwater_fukushima/

Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare says that tests have revealed levels of the radioactive isotope iodine-131 in tapwater samples in Tokyo that range from 100 to 210 becquerels/litre. The radio-iodine health limit in force for iodine-131 is 300 Becquerels/litre, but there is a separate limit for baby milk fed to infants less than a year old of 100 Bq/l – hence the recommendation.

As ever, we hear of "more than twice the safe level", though the BBC does add that "officials have stressed that children would have to drink a lot of it before it harmed them".

Indeed they would. As World Nuclear News makes clear, the health safety limits in question are based on a year's consumption: in other words, a baby could drink milk containing 100 Bq/l of radio-iodine for a year without ill effects.

So what you are saying is that you can drink the tap water for a half year without any ill effects whatsoever. That's what that limit means.

Since all the iodine will have decayed away within about a month or so, there really is no problem at all.

Like I said before - the biggest thing to worry about from this is the fear and panic caused by ill informed speculation and fear mongering.

It's not that expensive - costs for French electricity which is about 80% nuclear generation are far below UK pricing for exmaple.

I hope you're not mixing up cost with price.

Cost is what a unit costs to produce, whereas price is what is paid for that unit.

A number of reasons could cause something to be sold at a price below what it costs to make. For example loss leading, market surplus and subsidies.

I hope you're not mixing up cost with price.

Cost is what a unit costs to produce, whereas price is what is paid for that unit.

A number of reasons could cause something to be sold at a price below what it costs to make. For example loss leading, market surplus and subsidies.

Price is a starting point in a negotiation about how much the seller wants for something and how much the purchaser wants to pay for it. Cost is to the purchaser what they actually pay and the seller what they paid (to produce or procure the item).

The cost of electricity in France to the consumer is lower than the equivalent in the UK.

My bold - Obelix was talking about the risks to people in China overdosing on salt as a precaution for a non-existant risk. Not those in Japan taking precautions against an existing risk.

Anyway, the radiation level is only too high for babies under 1 year of age, who have a much reduced radiation level allowed.

Slightly less paniccy coverage here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/23/tokyo_tapwater_fukushima/

I am sure your reassuring words will do a lot to calm the fears of Japanese mothers.

Archived