Do Japan's nuclear power plants pose a threat to the UK?

I think those that consider nuclear power to be dangerous need to put it in perspective alongside fossil fuel power, which is far more dangerous imho.

Consider the cost in lives and to the environment in extracting the stuff. Consider the problem of waste in burning the stuff, which is far worse than the the waste from nuclear power. Remember Aberfan?

Consider the fact that coal soot itself contains radioactive contaminants, and as a result the radiation levels surrounding a coal plant are actually higher than those around a nuclear plant.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

The impact of an occasional plane crash might be more dramatic than the many daily car crashes, but nobody would use this to claim that air travel is more dangerous than car travel. Ditto with nuclear power v conventional power supplies.

The vast majority of information concerning nuclear power comes from scientists in the employ of the nuclear industry, including what we are now hearing about these reactors in Japan. The extent of the risk is certainly going to be played down. Therefore, the true extent of the toxicity and the area it will effect is anybody's guess. It seems unlikely it will get to Europe in any significant amounts.

As I understand it, the worst risk is not atmospheric pollution, but a meltdown, which would contaminate ground water supplies over a potentially vast area.

No it wouldn't, because the reactors are designed so that if that did happen it would be contained within the power station via three containment facilities. All three would have to be breached before it can contaminate the outside world.

this phoney text message turned up in the inbox of my cellphone earlier

BBC News Flash Report: Japan government confirms radiation leak at Fukushima nuclear plants. Asian countries should take necessary precautions. Remain indoors first 24 hours. Close doors and windows. Swab neck skin with betadine where thyroid area is. Radiation hits thyroid first. It may hit Philippines starting at 4pm today. Let's all pray protection against radiation. Pls. Repost.

radiation 'hits' thyroid first? Really?

I think those that consider nuclear power to be dangerous need to put it in perspective alongside fossil fuel power, which is far more dangerous imho.

Consider the cost in lives and to the environment in extracting the stuff. Consider the problem of waste in burning the stuff, which is far worse than the the waste from nuclear power. Remember Aberfan?

Consider the fact that coal soot itself contains radioactive contaminants, and as a result the radiation levels surrounding a coal plant are actually higher than those around a nuclear plant.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

The impact of an occasional plane crash might be more dramatic than the many daily car crashes, but nobody would use this to claim that air travel is more dangerous than car travel. Ditto with nuclear power v conventional power supplies.

So which would you rather Bin Laden got his mits on? A sack of coal or a sack of uranium/plutonium ?

The Japanese reactors - so I'm reading - are of a type which don't generate an atomic explosion when they fail. Consequently, even if they fail catastrophically, very little radiation is likely to reach the stratosphere and be dispersed around the globe.

the cores will either melt, then go direclty in to the ground / Ocean, or explode contaminate japan

this has been mentioned now for days on Sky news

this phoney text message turned up in the inbox of my cellphone earlier

BBC News Flash Report: Japan government confirms radiation leak at Fukushima nuclear plants. Asian countries should take necessary precautions. Remain indoors first 24 hours. Close doors and windows. Swab neck skin with betadine where thyroid area is. Radiation hits thyroid first. It may hit Philippines starting at 4pm today. Let's all pray protection against radiation. Pls. Repost.

radiation 'hits' thyroid first? Really?

As I understand it a radioactive isotope of iodine can be released from these events..as the thyroid gland uses iodine this radioactive sort can be absorbed into it..usually people in the nearby area are given iodine tablets to sort of "fill up" the thyroid so there's less of the "bad" iodine absorbed..

Archived