Great britain not great anymore.

I am not paranoid, some asked why we could not have a full on discussion on sf, and that is what I was more referring too.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that you weren't being quietened or censored... it was my quote in someone else post that was deleted and my fault for losing my temper, and posting out of order.

My late Father was a Brass Finisher & Turner a highly skiled tradesman, he workd to fine tolerances by hand, when his firm closed in the early 70s most of the machines on his floor were still powered by the old fashioned over head belt fed system.

Can you imagine the brand new overseas south east asian factories that he had to compete with operating with such antiquated machinery, and yes I said up to the early 70s on Eyre Street Sheffield.

The UK (and its allies) won WWll and lost the economic peace.

Whose fault was that? - Nobody's. That's life.

Germany and Japan (the losers) were rebuilt; the UK had to make its own way. That's what you get for 'winning' a war, I suppose.

But how many Brass turners were employed at British Leyland?

Did people refuse to buy Brileymoco cars because they were built in out-dated factories, or did they refuse to buy them because the build standard was so shoddy?

Let's face it: British car manufacturers in the 1980's produced inferior products at superior prices.

I bought an MG midget in 1985. I paid a premium price for a heap of dogcrap.

The passenger door didn't fit, it spent more time atthe dealer's garage than it did in mine (or on the road.) I took the carpets out (they were rotting because of water ingress) and I found a sycamore spinner sprayed into the paint under the carpets. The people who made that car couldn't even be bothered to clean it out before they painted it.

That was the last British car I ever bought. Aged factories are no excuse for the 'don't give a s**t' attitudes which prevailed in much of British manufacturing during the 70's and 80's.

workers in other countries probaby work for tuppence a day..:)

THey would get paid a tuppence at one time because in that country and economy it may have been a lot of money then, but now it is not.

I know some will now say what about those in Africa and country's like that but they are not as free as the rest of us because of there governments so in this case on this thread we should not be using them to base things on.

Germany and Japan (the losers) were rebuilt; the UK had to make its own way. That's what you get for 'winning' a war, I suppose.

Nothing like backing up what I've said several times on SF before but the "That's life" comment sums many things up especialy to dismiss the fact that our workforce was working with clapped out machinery that had just been operated 24/7 from 1939/45 and Marshall aide re-equiped all the bombed out countries except ours.

im not going down that route again talking of immigration and racism..thanks.:)

You dont need to. Just answer the question.

You claim Britain is a less favourable place to live nowadays, and I am interested to hear personal evidence to back this up.

But how many Brass turners were employed at British Leyland?

Did people refuse to buy Brileymoco cars because they were built in out-dated factories, or did they refuse to buy them because the build standard was so shoddy?

Let's face it: British car manufacturers in the 1980's produced inferior products at superior prices.

I bought an MG midget in 1985. I paid a premium price for a heap of dogcrap.

The passenger door didn't fit, it spent more time atthe dealer's garage than it did in mine (or on the road.) I took the carpets out (they were rotting because of water ingress) and I found a sycamore spinner sprayed into the paint under the carpets. The people who made that car couldn't even be bothered to clean it out before they painted it.

That was the last British car I ever bought. Aged factories are no excuse for the 'don't give a s**t' attitudes which prevailed in much of British manufacturing during the 70's and 80's.

The Morris Minor gained something of a market in North America for awhile in the early 1950s but lost out to the Volkswagen Beetle, one of the reasons being that you had to wait weeks for a part to arrive from England. That was the biggest gripe of Morris dealers and customers.

I remember that strikes at Ford's Dagenham, Essex assembly plant were almost every day occurences. There was a union shop steward who had the habit of ringing a bell and calling union meetings during working hours and bringing the whole assembly line to a halt.

The hard truth is that union militancy as well as sloppy quality control at a time when the Japanese and Germans were turning out cheap bur reliable cars coupled with good back up service in the early post war years started the eventual downward slide of the British car industry

Lots of people have posted their thoughts on why Britain isn't great anymore. Given that we can't go back in a time machine & undo the mistakes of past governments, organisations and individuals - what do forummers think is needed to regain that spirit of 'greatness'?

The mid market tabloids seem to think the forthcoming royal wedding will give the Britsh the opportunity to wave the Union Jack & things will be hunky dory. But we had a royal wedding in 1981 & people were rioting & very angry back then.

You dont need to. Just answer the question.

You claim Britain is a less favourable place to live nowadays, and I am interested to hear personal evidence to back this up.

just read the posts and see what the people feel..no evidence im sorry.. lots of people feel gb has gone down the toilet.no one thing entirely responsible..there are many issues in this thread immigration is just 1 of them.

just read the posts and see what the people feel..no evidence im sorry.. lots of people feel gb has gone down the toilet.no one thing entirely responsible..there are many issues in this thread immigration is just 1 of them.

Perhaps that's the pernicious influence of the media - and the press in particular. With it's focus on bad news & problems is it any wonder it skews our view of the world.

Perhaps that's the pernicious influence of the media - and the press in particular. With it's focus on bad news & problems is it any wonder it skews our view of the world.

Only if you let it, you can of course choose to ignore what you don't like in the media and pretend everything is rosy in the garden :hihi:

Archived