Great britain not great anymore.

every one every where was in the same way after the war not just this country. We did not start going down hill till the late 70's and yes there was place's where we work the old ways even then.

I haven't got a chip I just object to all the garbage about how we're to expensive and couldn't compete, unlike many here I know why we were expensive and couldn't compete, this was due to the antiquated machinery our industry depended heavily on overtime (evenings and weekends) which is obviously more expensive. This was because the machinery was out dated and slow compared to the new stuff provided to Japan and Germany etc by the US after WWII

The rot started in the early 60s which was well before the late 70s when we saw Japanese bikes appear at the Isle of Man, it was at a time when a British van was sold without a passenger seat or heater and japanese cars appeared with all the extras fitted as standard that we had to pay for on UK vehicles.

the 'in my day...' crown feel cheated because of this and that but there's a lot that was wrong 'in my day...' too.

I agree there, the truth is that the working class had it rough even at the height of the British Empire.

Very few on here know the real meaning of the term 'Means testing' when an assessor would arrive and tell you what possession or piece of furniture to sell before you were allowed any benefit, this happened to many famillies including that of my late Father in law.

No Chip just knowledge of how it was.

It is really annoying how people sentimentalise the past, Eg in my day kids didn't have sex/crime was non existent/children respected their elders/neighbours knew each other.

It would be interesting to know how much of the past you'd actualy experienced.

As a 6 year old I could go from the Crooksmoor Road Addy st area all the way to Endcliffe Park with my other firends of similar age, we also played out at night when it was dark.

We regularly visited Western Park Museum and various other places in the vicinity.

I never dared let my own children do things like that and certainly wouldn't let my grandchildren do it.

It would be intetrsting to know how much of the past you'd actualy experienced.

As a 6 year old I could go from the Crooksmoor Road Addy st area all the way to Endcliffe Park with my other firends of similar age, we also played out at night when it was dark.

We regularly visited Western Park Museum and various other places in the vicinity.

I never dared let my own children do things like that and certainly wouldn't let my grandchildren do it.

that's just it. kids still do that in most places these days. just that it doesn't make the news. it's not much more dangerous, for kids esp, than it was really. just getting reported more and talked about more with the advent of tv etc. when kids got taken on the other side of the town 30 years ago you might not have known of it but it had happened. now you just click a mouse and it's all there. and so you say 'in my day...

that's just it. kids still do that in most places these days. just that it doesn't make the news. it's not much more dangerous, for kids esp, than it was really. just getting reported more and talked about more with the advent of tv etc. when kids got taken on the other side of the town 30 years ago you might not have known of it but it had happened. now you just click a mouse and it's all there. and so you say 'in my day...

Sorry you don't live in a real world if you believe all you've posted.

Sorry you don't live in a real worls if you believe all you've posted.

the usual argument. my daughter goes to school and comes back on her own. on weekends if she wants to she goes to the movies or to town for a few hours with her friends. they're all between 7 and 9. none of them have been raped mugged or murdered. the same is true for a lot of other kids and their parents that i know. of course there are bad areas that even i would want her to go on her own but for the most part it's all good.

just because i don't see the world the way you see it and don't experience it the way you do doesn't make mine any less valid. or the other way round.

It is really annoying how people sentimentalise the past, Eg in my day kids didn't have sex/crime was non existent/children respected their elders/neighbours knew each other.

Well as annoying as it is, it's true, one day you may be talking like that yourself :o

We 'sentimentalise' quite a bit us old uns, the middle aged people of today have created this retro culture, 70s and 80s music/bars have boomed over the last 10 to 15 years, even Northern Soul has had a resurgence in recent years. Innocence was lost in those decades, the kids of today will never see anything like those good old days :hihi:

the usual argument. my daughter goes to school and comes back on her own. on weekends if she wants to she goes to the movies or to town for a few hours with her friends. they're all between 7 and 9. none of them have been raped mugged or murdered. the same is true for a lot of other kids and their parents that i know. of course there are bad areas that even i would want her to go on her own but for the most part it's all good.

just because i don't see the world the way you see it and don't experience it the way you do doesn't make mine any less valid. or the other way round.

I'm sorry we'll just have to agree to differ, I've seen and experienced the changes that you haven't, you can't put old heads on young shoulders so I'll leave to grow more experienced in life.

Archived