Great britain not great anymore.

Well as annoying as it is, it's true, one day you may be talking like that yourself :o

We 'sentimentalise' quite a bit us old uns, the middle aged people of today have created this retro culture, 70s and 80s music/bars have boomed over the last 10 to 15 years, even Northern Soul has had a resurgence in recent years. Innocence was lost in those decades, the kids of today will never see anything like those good old days :hihi:

How true, I was brought up in the 40s-50s and played in groups/bands through the days of 'Beatlemania'.

There were hard times like as a 4 year old queuing with my mother and brother at the canal wharf for a bag of coal in the winter of 47, my mother carried it to the Commercial St tram stop and on getting off carried it all the way down Oxford St to our home on Bond St.

Yes we were short of coal in Sheffield at a time when Sheffield was awash with coal mines yet ours had to arrive by coal barge.

I started my first full time job in 1958 as a labourer on a building site, then became an apprentice carpenter. Two years later I was callled up for national service in the army.

We lived in council houses and didn't have much compared to today. We got our first TV in 1954 and dad got his first car in 1956. I didnt see a colour TV, nor a firdge nor an automatic washing machine until I went to Canada.

My dad had a lean time as a kid, doing odd jobs then later had to join the army to survive, did 5 years in India then in 1939 was called back into the army when WW2 started. Invalided out in 1945.

He had a rough time. I didn't. The era I grew up in was okay. Britain was still recovering from the war until around the mid 60s.

People today have it cushy compared even to my generation

I started my first full time job in 1958 as a labourer on a building site, then became an apprentice carpenter. Two years later I was callled up for national service in the army.

We lived in council houses and didn't have much compared to today. We got our first TV in 1954 and dad got his first car in 1956. I didnt see a colour TV, nor a firdge nor an automatic washing machine until I went to Canada.

My dad had a lean time as a kid, doing odd jobs then later had to join the army to survive, did 5 years in India then in 1939 was called back into the army when WW2 started. Invalided out in 1945.

He had a rough time. I didn't. The era I grew up in was okay. Britain was still recovering from the war until around the mid 60s.

People today have it cushy compared even to my generation

I missed National Service but joined up as a regular in 66, regarding the mid 60s you're quite correct, guitars were a classic example, you had to wait for a Fender Strat or Fender Bass to arrive unlike today where they hang by the dozen in music shops, got posted to Cyprus just about everything was available there including Fender instruments.

I'm sorry we'll just have to agree to differ, I've seen and experienced the changes that you haven't, you can't put old heads on young shoulders so I'll leave to grow more experienced in life.

all good all good. I'm sure there'll be hairy situation to come here and there but wouldn't barricade the kids inside for fear of life.

just read the posts and see what the people feel..no evidence im sorry.. lots of people feel gb has gone down the toilet.no one thing entirely responsible..there are many issues in this thread immigration is just 1 of them.

Which merely confirms my point that your assertion Britain is going to the dogs is based on what other people think. Hardly prima facie evidence.

I am not sure why you keep mentioning immigration as well? One feels the lady (or lad) doth protest too much.

Archived