My banks have messed up and made me overdrawn

Hi people,

On the 10th of this month I noticed my Halifax bank was about to go overdrawn by about £2 so I transfered £5 just to be safe from my Yorkshire Bank. Well it said it was sucessful an would take upto 2hours so I left it to it.

Well today I recieved a letter from Halifax saying my account has not gone overdrawn by £2. I've quickly gone online and as the letter says my Halifax is overdrawn, so I checked my Yorkshire Bank online and it says the £5 was sucessfull.

Who should I call first Halifax or Yorkshire? I don't want to call the wrong one and only be passed on to someone else as I'm rubbish at talking on phones.

Ring Yorkshire to find out where the money has gone.

Then ring Halifax and kindly state that you realised you were going overdrawn and transferred more than double the funds to cover this. However, for some reason, it hasn't yet arrived. And that you would be grateful if they could cancel / remove the charge you will now incur.

Hi people,

On the 10th of this month I noticed my Halifax bank was about to go overdrawn by about £2 so I transfered £5 just to be safe from my Yorkshire Bank. Well it said it was sucessful an would take upto 2hours so I left it to it.

Well today I recieved a letter from Halifax saying my account has not gone overdrawn by £2. I've quickly gone online and as the letter says my Halifax is overdrawn, so I checked my Yorkshire Bank online and it says the £5 was sucessfull.

Who should I call first Halifax or Yorkshire? I don't want to call the wrong one and only be passed on to someone else as I'm rubbish at talking on phones.

Allways thought a bank transfer between two different banks took upto 4 days to complete. The 2 hours quoted for the transaction would probably mean the actual time for the transaction to be completed by the Yorkshire Bank, not when the £5 would be in your Hallifax account. Only using the same banks, ie Halifax to Halifax, would usually mean your acount would be credited with the £5 on the same day. I know this applies with the Royal Bank of Scotland, so I would assume other banks are the same.

Allways thought a bank transfer between two different banks took upto 4 days to complete. The 2 hours quoted for the transaction would probably mean the actual time for the transaction to be completed by the Yorkshire Bank, not when the £5 would be in your Hallifax account. Only using the same banks, ie Halifax to Halifax, would usually mean your acount would be credited with the £5 on the same day. I know this applies with the Royal Bank of Scotland, so I would assume other banks are the same.

Thats probably right, transfers from Halifax to Halifax are same day but would take longer from other bank. You would be better ringing Halifax and pleading you made a genuine mistake, they have waived fees for me but won't do it on regular basis. Next time it may be better to actually go to cashpoint if you can and take cash out to deposit in other account. I know this is not always possible and is a bit inconvenient but it would save on bank charges. When you ring make sure you select customer sevices option

It all depends how Yorkshire Bank did the transfer. If it was a BACS payment (old fashoned way) it will arrive three working days after it was sent. If it actually left Yorkshire on Thursday it should be with the Halifax on Monday.

If it went via Faster Payments, it should arrive within a couple of hours of being sent. The message you saw suggests it did indeed go via Faster Payments.

If you don't like talking on the phone there are a couple of things you can check first:

1) When you sent the money from Yorkshire, did you input the correct details?

2) Has the money been returned to Yorkshire for any reason?

3) Is there anything on Yorkshire's site explaining when they will use BACS or Faster Payments?

The best advice, though, is to ask the Halifax nicely and they will probably waive the fee, especially if you were only £2 overdrawn.

In addition to Andy's post, there is information on Faster Payments here which shows that Yorkshire Bank do implement faster payments. It does not list Halifax as being one of the banks that do though so they may not process them as they should.

When you contact Halifax, emphasise that you sent the money via faster payments and that as Yorkshire Bank said it succeeded so you, quite reasonably, assumed they (Halifax) had accepted and processed it as a faster payment. If they are accepting transactions as faster payments but not processing them in a timely manner which then causes you to go overdrawn and have unnecessary expense that is unfair. Suggest they waive the charge as you made every reasonable effort to stay in credit and say you'll complain the banking ombudsman if they don't.

I've just called Yorkshire bank and they are just denying that it said it went though FP and saying I should have printed the page. I didn't print it off as I've never had any trouble transfering funds before.

They won't contact Halifax to reverse any charges and placed the blame on me. I won't be bothering with their online system again as I can't trust it now I'll only be dealing in cash

Both Halifax and Yorkshire say they are signed up to faster payments (FP).

If Yorkshire say they didnt receive it by FP I'd tend to believe them, they just credit when received. I'd agree that it isnt Yorkshire's responsibility to chase Halifax.

Its much more likely that Halifax didnt send it by FP, even though you got the FP confirmation screen. I dont think any signed up bank is obligated to use FP, but if they confirmed they would, then its awful customer service. I'd say this is your grounds for complaint, I'd request a goodwill gesture from Halifax to cover the Yorkshire charge.

Archived