Cameron and clegg

Ah but they didn’t though did they and I doubt if labour would have accommodated them.

i bet they would have had the numbers given them an overall majority, as it was it would have needed the snp, greens etc to make a majority, such a disparate coalition would never have held together

Seriously, the cuts at present are mild. We'll still be spending more money in 2015 that we are now (link).

Where there may be ideological reasons that make some on the Conservative side relish the cuts more than they should, the fact is that we are running record deficits. The true national debt is £7.9 trillion and we jut can't carry on like this. Even Labour recognized the need for cuts (although they're keeping quiet about that now that they're in opposition)

Oh sure, we could try a "business as usual" approach, and probably things would muddle on for a few more years, but we'd have to do something about our ropey finances eventually and sooner rather than later would be better for everyone.

I don't disagree with you. The cuts aren't the thing that bother me as much as this government doing things like not honouring promises for tax breaks for growing industries like video games and with drawing funding for profitable job creating things like the film industry. It just seems savage and short sighted.

• 2 weeks later...
didnt want to get tied down on this but i was in a class of no less than thirty five. one teacher at a time. all of us left with the ability to read and write and to do arithmetic. now classes are smaller, with classroom assistants, illiteracy innumeracy is rife. non job.

Most classes aren't much smaller than 35. Many kids need constant support at school, which a teacher cannot provide to this many children.

I'm a little perturbed by how savagely they are doing things.

Savagely? The cuts haven't even started yet.

Ken Clarke predicts problems for coalition when cuts hit home [February 2011]

The coalition faces "political difficulty" when the real extent of spending cuts begins to hit home with the middle classes later this year, Kenneth Clarke has said.

The justice secretary's interview with the Daily Telegraph is likely to once again set him on a collision course with cabinet and party colleagues.

In contrast to the more upbeat position of the chancellor of the exchequer, George Osborne, Clarke also said that he does not envisage "a quick rebound" for the economy, which he described as being in a calamitous state.

LINK

Savagely? Either you lost touch with the real world long ago or are just prone to using hyperbole as a matter of course.

Archived