Catagorised? Generalised by Post Code

Has anyone been on the following website?

http://www.upmystreet.com

I put my post code in to see what it had to say about the area that I live in and was astonished to see the results with regards to the generalised lifestyles of people that live in the same area. Other than that I was quite impressed to see other information on there regarding schools etc.

I've included mine below for any you interested in having a look. I would be interested to hear what others in this forum have to say about this.

Type 32: Home Owning Areas with Skilled Workers

(3.1 per cent of the population live in this ACORN Type)

Likely characteristics

These neighbourhoods contain a largely young, blue collar population living in older properties. This ACORN Type is concentrated in the older industrial areas of Britain in the North and Wales. There are particularly high concentrations in Mid Glamorgan, Lancashire and Cumbria. Typical towns containing large numbers of these neighbourhoods are Barrow-in-Furness, Burnley and Merthyr Tydfil.

Heavy ITV viewing High Ownership of stocks and shares Low

Microwave purchases Medium Buying home with a mortgage High

2+ Car Ownership Low Population Aged 0-14 Medium

Originally posted by Dick Dastardly

I thought about that after I posted this. May I suggest that if you want to add anything to this then just cut and paste the relevant information and leave your post code out. Is that ok Silda?

Yeah, that would be good. You might want to edit your postcode out? Or do you want it leaving there?

I like the look of this. Here are the best bits:

Socio-Economic Profile

Unemployment is very low in ACORN Type 10 - just over a third of the national rate. The proportion of working women is high, and the majority of households have 2 or more people at work. This is a highly educated population, with almost twice the national level of people with degrees and other academic qualifications. In terms of occupations, there are above average levels of both professional and managerial employment.

Financial

These are extremely affluent areas, with 3.2 times more people than average earning over £40,000 per annum. There is a very high level of new savings and current account opening. Ownership of investment products like shares and National Savings Certificates are only slightly above average, but plastic card ownership, especially of debit cards, is very high. Mortgages are most likely to be with a building society. Personal pension plan ownership is 44% higher than average and 29% more people than average have a hire purchase agreement.

Media

Ownership of satellite television is 13% above average here, and 86% more homes than average have cable television. Readership of daily papers is very polarised; over 4 times more people than average read The Financial Times and readership of The Mail and The Express are above average, but all other dailies have well below average readership. A broader mix of Sunday titles is read with The News of the World and Sunday Express being particularly popular. Both ITV viewing and commercial radio listening are light.

This description is intended to illustrate likely consumer preferences and behaviour and does not describe a specific locality or its residents. Please note, it may not always be entirely accurate for your postcode. You should not base important decision-making on the ACORN classification alone.

Type 1: Wealthy Suburbs, Large Detached Houses

(2.6 per cent of the population live in this ACORN Type)

Likely characteristics

This ACORN Type contains the most affluent neighbourhoods in Great Britain. They are wealthy, high status areas on the suburban/rural fringe which are found predominantly in the Home Counties, although there are enclaves in other parts of the country such as Bearsden, Milngavie and Eastwood in Glasgow and Solihull in the West Midlands.

Heavy ITV viewing Low Ownership of stocks and shares High

Microwave purchases Medium Buying home with a mortgage High

2+ Car Ownership High Population Aged 0-14 Medium

Socio-Economic Profile

ACORN Type 1 comprises a highly educated population - almost 3 times the national level of residents have degrees. In terms of employment, these are largely professional and managerial people. Unemployment is around a third of the national level.

Housing

Over 90% of homes are owner occupied, 32% being owned outright and the remainder being purchased by mortgage. Homes are large - almost 60% having 7 or more rooms - and nearly three quarters are detached. Virtually all homes have central heating.

Financial

These are extremely high income areas - the proportion of households earning more than £40,000 per annum is 5.4 times higher than average. Ownership of National Savings Certificates is 2.8 times higher than average, and there are also well above average holdings of stocks and shares, all plastic cards and personal pensions.

Media

By far the most popular daily newspaper is The Telegraph, which has a readership level 3.5 times higher than average. The Times is read by almost 5 times more people in these neighbourhoods than nationally, and readership of The Financial Times is also over 3 times higher than average. The most widely read Sunday newspaper is The Sunday Times, which is read by 3.3 times more people in this ACORN Type than nationally. The readership of The Sunday Telegraph is 4.2 times higher than average and both The Observer and The Independent on Sunday are more than twice as popular as nationally. ITV viewing levels are very low, with 57% of people classified as light viewers. Commercial radio listening levels, however, are average.

Property Prices

.................................S11 9 ..................England & Wales average

Detached............... £364,438 (18 ) ..........£251,017 (59,624)

Semi-detached....... £215,695 (23)........... £144,546 (79,516)

Terraced................. £210,625 (4)............. £119,664 (93,320)

Flat......................... £140,768 (11)............ £153,837 (42,506)

All property types ....£248,425 (56) ..........£160,625 (274,966)

The bit I enjoyed most was this for my Sheffield postcode:

You or your business moving to Sx xxx...?

For all your domestic or business storage needs choose Safestore self storage. Your nearest store: 318 High Street, North Dunstable, LU6 1BE

Don't just store it, Safestore it

g

Archived