Sheffield to London (Victoria) via train

Do buy an Oyster card if you are using public transport in London. It is expensive without one. You can buy then at any ticket office. You pay £5 deposit then however much credit you want on them. We went to London for a few days bought them as we arrived and returned them as we left to get the deposit back. Saved a lot of money compared to paying for individual tickets.

If you are just there for a day it is a bit inconvenient but the alternatives seemed to be expensive. You can also keep hold of them if you are going back again though.

No - for one day Oyster not good value - much better getting a day ticket that alows you to use as many tubes and buses as you want....same price as for the oyster card and maybe two tubes.

No - for one day Oyster not good value - much better getting a day ticket that alows you to use as many tubes and buses as you want....same price as for the oyster card and maybe two tubes.

Oyster is at least 50p cheaper than a travelcard.

"If you make lots of pay as you go journeys in one day we'll make sure you never pay more than the price of an equivalent Day Travelcard*. "

"If you make lots of pay as you go journeys in one day we'll make sure you never pay more than the price of an equivalent Day Travelcard*. "

The OP has a Family and Friends railcard, so will get a discount on a Day Travelcard.

But you also have to pay £5 just for the card and then cash to top it up.

will you honestly explain to me how? I travel to london not infrequently and have an oyster card which if I am making just one / two tube journeys I use BUT if I am getting on /off tubes all day (as a tourist would) then I but a day ticket..am I doing the wrong thing?

Yes - Oyster stops charging you when you reach the "price cap" which is set at the same price as a travel card. See: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

The real benefit is if your plans change, you just keep touching in and out and Oyster makes sure you're charged for either all the single journeys, or for a day travel card in which ever zones you've used, which ever is cheapest.

For example, a Zone 1 - 2 single peak journey is 1.90 and a day travel card is £8 (peak). Your first four journeys will be charged as normal (total 7.60) and the next journey will only cost 40p as it caps at £8. The next journey after that will be free as will any other journeys you make in zones 1 - 2 that day.

You're not actually doing anything wrong because the price cap on Oyster and a one day travel card cost the same. But if your plans change, Oyster is more flexible.

Archived