Re-filling the same beer glass- is it illegal?

As yet the legallity of it hasn't been established although the general feeling is that there is no such law that prohibits it.

I never knew of any law in the few years I worked on the bar (and trained staff!). I just told them, we don't use the same glass.

Having worked as bar staff for 6 years (best job I ever had!) I'd like to make the point that any decent bar staff wouldn't be putting the nozzle in the pint pot when they're pulling a pint anyway!! When you start pouring at an angle, the nozzle is very near the edge of the glass- but not touching, then as you straighten the glass up, you pull it out. Any 'topups' are made with the nozzle above the glass. Its not hard!

I can't remember there being any 'policy' about giving customers clean glasses (I have worked for a major chain who would have a policy about it if they could!), and I don't remember it being a problem to re-use an old glass. To be honest, the transfer of saliva never ever crossed my mind in all my years serving beer!

You are far more likely to have 'bacteria' transferred to your mouth by touching door handles/ pub seats etc then touching your mouth than you ever would by the theoretical transfer from used beer glasses!

I can't remember there being any 'policy' about giving customers clean glasses (I have worked for a major chain who would have a policy about it if they could!), and I don't remember it being a problem to re-use an old glass. To be honest, the transfer of saliva never ever crossed my mind in all my years serving beer!

When I said policy, I was perhaps using the wrong word. Let me rephrase: I was told that we don't reuse glasses. I never cared much to look into the matter, and also the reason I don't know the legality of the practice... so I use the word 'policy' as the spoken word, rather than the meaning of written rules or legal practice.

You are far more likely to have 'bacteria' transferred to your mouth by touching door handles/ pub seats etc then touching your mouth than you ever would by the theoretical transfer from used beer glasses!

Which is the reason that I mentioned about staff holding glasses at the top.

This topic just goes to show that some people will moan about just about anything.

I swear the moaning, jobs worths and political correctness fruitcakes in this country should all get real lives.

No it doesn't, it's a fair question. Since we have three pages and no defining answer, I would reckon it's a valid question. Do you know the answer?

Given that there does not seem a reason for it to actually be made illegal I will put my back tax on it not being illegal. How about you, what logic have you got to suggest it would be is what I am asking ?

If it doesn't look like a duck and does not quack like a duck, then why should we actually consider it to be a duck ?

Given that there does not seem a reason for it to actually be made illegal I will put my back tax on it not being illegal. How about you, what logic have you got to suggest it would be is what I am asking ?

If it doesn't look like a duck and does not quack like a duck, then why should we actually consider it to be a duck ?

That still doesn't answer the question Dido.

And since I've never suggested that it should be illegal, means that I needn't have to post any logical reason why it should be.

But, since you ask, if I was to use logic, then hygiene would be one reason. However, I've never read about anyone becoming seriously ill from drinking from the same glass (aside from hangovers).

Archived