Ridiculous! No 'e'.

How did we get from Halibut 's mini-lecture on spelling to kissing Japanese necks in take-aways ?? I wish someone would kiss my English neck for even 1 hour. That might sound ridiculous, I know-----perhaps even red-dick-you-louse.

I don 't care how you spell it----just get round here, quick sticks !

Last Japanese wreck I kissed cost me 10 Dorras. :rant:

The second of those actually makes me want to cry. Working in a professional environment, getting letters from other solicitors saying that I "should of" done something actually makes me want to cry.

Just quoting myself, which I know is wrong, but I do actually have a real fear that due to the frequency at which people make this mistake, "should of" will be incorporated into the language. At that point, I'll look like the crazy one, as I rant, protest and shout about the way that English is being murdered. Everyone else, happily, will tell me that by now, I should of adapted to this new, incorrect England.

Just quoting myself, which I know is wrong, but I do actually have a real fear that due to the frequency at which people make this mistake, "should of" will be incorporated into the language. At that point, I'll look like the crazy one, as I rant, protest and shout about the way that English is being murdered. Everyone else, happily, will tell me that by now, I should of adapted to this new, incorrect England.
However language is a constantly evolving thing. Theres been studies that show text speak doesn't mean you have poor english. The chances are that the language of the future will become a sort of mash of English, Chinese, Spanish and Indian

I have to agree with you. I think a large amount of the English language will die too.

What also amazes me is the number of people who cannot spell or string a sentence together always pull out the dyslexic card. Yes, I do understand there are quite a number of people who suffer from dyslexia but there are also far more who cannot spell through not being educated properly or, (?maybe) in some cases pure laziness.

It makes me wince when people advertise their businesses and get the spelling wrong. Apart from the usual extra apostrophe in words like 'tomatoe's, or onion's', there's a minibus I often see that advertises 'transport for all occassions' and even a forum sig for a 'karoake'. Just say that one phonetically - its so obviously wrong!

It is rediculous. But it is there responsibility and they should of made sure they got it write. :o

And can a younger poster tell me when 'bored with' became 'bored of'?

Has anyone else noticed that when spelling or grammar is criticized so many people on here tend to say how "it doesn't matter".

I actually think that basically this is where the problem started in schools in the 80's/90's when spelling was "dumbed down" and teachers were more interested in "pupils thoughts, and what is written down on paper" rather than the actual spellings or grammatical correctness, thus we now have a population that actually doesn't know how to spell or to put a complete sentence together correctly.

This weekend I actually saw signs in our local Staples shop selling "draws"!!! Aargh! If large stores like this cannot even be bothered to ensure they have the correct spellings then what hope do we have of youngsters spelling things correctly.

How many people with University degrees are unable to spell? Quite a lot!!!

Archived