Ridiculous! No 'e'.

As long as I can understand their point, I really don't care.

I do find though that English language snobs are the worst kind. Rarely do you hear people giving the same criticisms to people who are not so good at other things. Wouldn't it be a poor forum if posters in the Computer and Tech forum for instance were so snobbish at a poster's lack of skills?

Yes you know words, good for you.

Actually I wasn't having a rant as it happens. I was just stating things that bug me with today's spelling and grammar that seems acceptable by quite a large number of people. Also the fact that there are quite a number of people who seem to think there is nothing wrong with poor spellings or for that matter that correct grammar (or any form of grammar for that matter!) is important in today's world! Which to me is extremely sad.

I'm not saying that I am perfect with both but at least I do try and use the correct spellings as well as using, as much as I am able, the correct grammar.

Fair enough, the multiple exclamation marks suggested a rant to me (and it's a subject worth ranting about). As I say, I agree with you.

I try and avoid getting too cross about it these days though because it's everywhere. I just get excited when I meet someone who can actually write.

Fair enough, the multiple exclamation marks suggested a rant to me (and it's a subject worth ranting about). As I say, I agree with you.

I try and avoid getting too cross about it these days though because it's everywhere. I just get excited when I meet someone who can actually write.

(my bold) Just to say I feel exactly the same!

I've got a friend who uses semi colons in his texts :love:

One of the things that brought my sweetheart and I together was the semi colon.

'Aye aye', I thought to myself, 'this one's worth a second look'...

She so was.

As long as I can understand their point, I really don't care.

I do find though that English language snobs are the worst kind. Rarely do you hear people giving the same criticisms to people who are not so good at other things. Wouldn't it be a poor forum if posters in the Computer and Tech forum for instance were so snobbish at a poster's lack of skills?

Yes you know words, good for you.

Have you perhaps considered that people might enjoy reading something that is written reasonably well? Consistently bad spelling spoils my enjoyment, and I switch off from the content. Nothing to do with being a snob, just a personal preference. I expect to see the misspelling of difficult and obscure words, but not ones in every day usage.

When I have to read stuff like 'we where going out' and 'has I said' I have to think harder than if they were written ' we were going out' and 'as I said'.

Have you perhaps considered that people might enjoy reading something that is written reasonably well? Consistently bad spelling spoils my enjoyment, and I switch off from the content. Nothing to do with being a snob, just a personal preference. I expect to see the misspelling of difficult and obscure words, but not ones in every day usage.

When I have to read stuff like 'we where going out' and 'has I said' I have to think harder than if they were written ' we were going out' and 'as I said'.

exactly, that's when we stop reading posts and end up having to decipher them.

(although having said that i'm a one for not using capitals in any of my posts! my spelling's usually ok).

exactly, that's when we stop reading posts and end up having to decipher them.

(although having said that im a one for not using capitals in any of my posts! my spellings usually ok).

Can I ask why that is? It just seems wrong not to, to me.

Archived