Ridiculous! No 'e'.

And when you've got over the spelling of 'ridiculous' you can start being frustrated by the current dreadful spelling of 'gorgeous' as 'gawjus' which seems to be prevalent.

God I hate that spelling in texts.As well as forums.

you mean "You'd expect better have a solicitor wouldn't you"

No. Because that makes no sense.

Is spelt with an 'i' dear Sheffielders.

There is no such word as 'rediculous'.

What I find more annoying, and something that appears to be happening more and more, is people asking for "advise". Do these people spell "ice" as "ise", "vice" as "vise"?.

Another one that keeps on making "guest appearances" is substituting "been" for "being". Just which version of English is being taught in schools these days? Because it is most certainly not the version I was taught.

No. Because that makes no sense.

What I find more annoying, and something that appears to be happening more and more, is people asking for "advise". Do these people spell "ice" as "ise", "vice" as "vise"?.

Another one that keep on making "guest appearances" is substituting "been" for "being". Just which version of English is being taught in schools these days? Because it is most certainly not the version I was taught.

"Been" spelt for "being" is one of my pet hates too! I have even seen it spelt this way in official documentation - often written by Graduates!

I think a lot of the problem these days lies in the dilemma we have ended up with - that a lot of new teachers themselves are not able to spell or know how to use grammar - if they don't know the correct spellings then how can they teach children? That is one of the reasons why we have the situation where teachers say "it's not the spellings we are worried about at this stage, it's getting their thoughts down on paper". All well and good except this seems to follow the pupil throughout their school life as they NEVER seem to get their spellings or grammar corrected so they go blindly throughout life thinking that they have spelt it correctly.

Also, I have noticed that a large number of people seem to speak as they spell - appallingly!!

I have even seen it spelt this way in official documentation - often written by Graduates!

That's quiet a scary prospect for the future of our language:(.

I think a lot of the problem these days lies in the dilemma we have ended up with - that a lot of new teachers themselves are not able to spell or know how to use grammar - if they don't know the correct spellings then how can they teach children? That is one of the reasons why we have the situation where teachers say "it's not the spellings we are worried about at this stage, it's getting their thoughts down on paper". All well and good except this seems to follow the pupil throughout their school life as they NEVER seem to get their spellings or grammar corrected so they go blindly throughout life thinking that they have spelt it correctly.

How very true:(.

Also, I have noticed that a large number of people seem to speak as they spell - appallingly!!

Ah, the "GC" (Gregz Cru):hihi:

<<<<No. Because that makes no sense.>>>>

sorry dear, it was meant to be funny. OK, so it wasn't.

I remember when my youngest was at school, I corrected the teacher's remarks on some work my daughter had done. Daughter was quite cross with me!

"Been" spelt for "being" is one of my pet hates too! I have even seen it spelt this way in official documentation - often written by Graduates!

One of the best things that anyone can do to improve their writing is to read good quality books, fiction or non-fiction. Most quality writing will be scrupulously edited and exposure to enough of it can really help with spelling and grammar. It's also worth reading with a dictionary to hand for vocabulary.

Some resources for anyone who wants to brush up on their grammar and writing style:

Jack Lynch's Guide to Grammar and Style

The Elements of Style, William J. Strunk

Common Errors in English by Paul Brians

Some good links there.

I went to primary and secondary school from 1975 - 1985, and I can't ever remember being taught grammar in English lessons (although we did punctuation).

However the first thing we learnt when we studied the French language was sentence structure such as

Je suis

Tu es

Il est

Elle est

If grammar in French was deemed important, why weren't we taught English grammar?

Archived