Gleadless road Shop information

emjayf

Hi there I'm trying to see if there is any information about a Bakers in

Gleadless Road. It was run by a George Fouldes and his wife Leah Fouldes.

(a couple of my ancestors).

I don't know where to look for this and this is all the information I have!

Does anyone know of a Bakers shop there? There might even be some photos of them or the shop!

All the best and thanks in anticipation!

Emjay

Hi emjayf - welcome to the Forum!.:)

There was certainly a Fouldes baker's shop in Gleadless Road. I have the local Kelly's directories for 1925, 1942 and 1968, and the 1942 directory shows "Mrs Annie Leah Fouldes, baker, 26 Gleadless Road; home 79 Albert Road, Sheffield 8". The properties in Gleadless Road were demolished long ago, but No 26 would have been in the low centre of this 1930s aerial photo. Gleadless Road starts in the lower right part of the photo (just to the left of the railway bridge that can be seen - there is a white-fronted house on the corner), goes under the railway and continues diagonally before bending to the right and then going almost "straight up" through the centre of the photo. The picturesheffield.com site doesn't seem to have a view of the shops at this end of Gleadless Road, but here is a photo of the railway bridge - No 26 would have been in the distance on the right-hand side of the road.

No 79 Albert Road (which seems to have been a substantial property) was a ten-minute walk from the shop and must have been demolished some time after the mid-1970s; a block of flats now stands on the site.

I imagine you have the relevant family history information, but the 1911 census shows George Fouldes, then aged 19, a "wire rope maker" living with his parents John Gibson Fouldes and Julia Fouldes at 237 Myrtle Road (in the same part of Sheffield as Gleadless Road).

Hope this is helpful!.:)

Thank you very much Hillsbro!!! That was very useful!

I certainly don't have the relevant information! In fact I don't know much About George and Leah!

All I have is what a (now deceased) relative told me and that was that "George died aged about 46 - he had a heart attack. They ran a bakers shop, his wife wore black after he died until she died many years later."

So lots of this is very useful! I also don't have access to Ancestry stuff (just got married and can't afford to join these organisations (such as Ancestry)! Very frustrating as I'd love to dig around a lot more! I need to know SO much! :)

I shall add what you mentioned, though, in my family notes.

My proper Sheffield connection comes from my Nan - who came from Greenhill (I think! She pronounced it "Grenill" in her broad Sheffield accent - which she never lost, despite living in south Lincolnshire for most of her adult life!) Her and my granddad also got married near Sheffield in Nowton Church.

Thanks for your help! I shall carry on hunting for stuff.

Cheers

Emjay

Looks like this was their marriage entry:

Marriages Dec 1923

Fouldes George Shimeld Ecclesall B. 9c 702

Shimeld Annie L Fouldes Ecclesall B. 9c 702

Could the church where they married be Norton Church (St. James).

Perhaps this is George's death registration:

Deaths Dec 1935

Fouldes George 43 Sheffield 9c 609

Annie's birth registration:

Births Mar 1893

Shimeld Annie Leah Ecclesall B. 9c 436

Hi Emjay - glad to be able to help. Yep - Greenhill is Grennil (some of my forebears also came from there, and were married at the nearby Norton church).

It seems that Annie died in 1968 - there is a death entry for Annie L. Fouldes who died aged 74 in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1968.

I have sent you my email address via a PM (Private Message). Email me if you would like a JPEG scan of the 1911 census page for George's family that I mentioned.

Hi there I'm trying to see if there is any information about a Bakers in

Gleadless Road. It was run by a George Fouldes and his wife Leah Fouldes.

(a couple of my ancestors).

I don't know where to look for this and this is all the information I have!

Does anyone know of a Bakers shop there? There might even be some photos of them or the shop!

All the best and thanks in anticipation!

Emjay

Only a small point i know but the site that hillsbro mentions (or very close) in later years became Hardys bakery. I would guess this bakery might have been built in the 1960s or early 70s.

Only a small point i know but the site that hillsbro mentions (or very close) in later years became Hardys bakery. I would guess this bakery might have been built in the 1960s or early 70s.
The 1968 directory shows "N.B. Hardy (Bakeries) Ltd." at 14 Gleadless Road, the next entry being No 26 "A. Bradford, shopkeeper". Hardy's is still shown at No 14 in the 1973 directory, with the next entry now being "J.T. Raynors, builders" at 18/24 Gleadless Road and "Dobson & Greaves, asphalting contractors" at 28/32. So I imagine that No 26 was demolished some time around 1970.

Now this one is a cheeky favour. I've been flummoxed by another Sheffield based ancestor that I can't fit in!

In the FreeBMD database I found this:

Marriages Mar 1916

Fouldes Harry Butterell Sheffield 9c 936

The "Butterell" is the surname of the spouse. It's in the right district (and the surname "Fouldes" isn't THAT common) and yet I can't fit this in with my tree.

The only Harry I found so far (from the Free BMD) was one I tentatively added in:

Births Sep 1888

FOULDES Harry

District: Ecclesall B

I couldn't find a death until I spelt Fouldes wrong as Foulds. Then I found:

Deaths Mar 1889

Foulds Harry - Age 0

District: Ecclesall B

It would fit and he would be 0 years old. However... what if my assuming they spelt "Fouldes" wrong, was in itself wrong!

Maybe this is the very same Harry who married in Sheffield in 1916. If this were true, then where is Harry on the censuses I've seen?!

Would there be a 23 year old Harry Fouldes on the 1911 census? If anyone has access to this it would be interesting to see!

Many thanks

MJ

Archived