Speeding fine- im shocked.

You've entirely missed the point. There is no differentiation. Anyone caught speeding, on any occasion, whether they did it purposefully or not, is entirely at fault and deserves to be fined.

Absolutely

At end of day if child runs out in road, even when you are driving with 'observation and avoidance'

a) if you are driving at 30 and not 40 you will stop sooner

b) even if you cant stop in time (because the child runs out too close) the child has more chance of surviving if hit at 30 instead of 40

At end of day, if you are driving too fast 'unintentionally' you are still driving without due care and attention

Don't get me wrong, I do 'unintentionally' go over speed limit every so often but if I ever get caught or, god forbid, hit someone the only person at fault is me and I deserve whatever punishment comes as a consequence of this

£85? - so he wasn't doing 35 in a 30 zone, was he?

:hihi:

Most likely he was. The courses are only offered to folks doing a small amount over the limit. So in a 30 limit that would be 34-37 mph. Above that and the course isn't an option.

It was more this sentence that i was referring to..

That implies some degree of 'intention'....

Every time i have been caught, i too was unintentionally speeding and is why i didnt slow down for the camera or speed up again after.

I have no problem with speeders (including myself) being prosecuted for it but i disagree with 'Cash Cow' cameras as they simply cannot differentiate between a clear disregard for the law plus dangerous driving and whats clearly an unintentional infringement.

Exactly how can you unintentionally speed, doesn't your speedometer work?

Most likely he was. The courses are only offered to folks doing a small amount over the limit. So in a 30 limit that would be 34-37 mph. Above that and the course isn't an option.

The current band that qualifies for a course in Derbyshire = 37-42 mph, recently changed from 37-39.

Occasionally, some with less than 37 attend (police discretion).

Each police authority has, in the past, decided on its own band although, slowly, the whole course offering is moving to a national model.

I went out shoplifting and I got nicked - and the thing about it that gets me is there weren't even any police or security visible, the sneaky so-and-sos used plain clothes store detectives and cameras that were hidden away - I'm shocked.

It's a bit off, being as it was a first time, you'd have thought they'd let me go wouldn't you?

I can't believe how many stores are using security cameras these days - it's terrible. Just part of the Government's "War on the Shoplifter" if you ask me.

A perfect spoof of the OP's post.

As i said previously, climbing on the pedestal and quoting the rule book is not only pointless (as we know what the rules state) but is also boorish and avoids the wider issue that i have been trying to make that the over emphasis on 'speed' ignores the bigger issue of poor driving standards that actually are a bigger problem on our roads.

I agree with the pendants that continually repeat the phrase of "speeding is speeding and if you get caught etc etc etc"... my complaint about speed cameras are that they do nothing in the combat against poor driving and focus entirely on speed. Less cameras and more patrols would combat the bigger problem but that would mean less revenue for the authorities, hence why cameras are everywhere, patrols are not and bad driving is escalating.

If you saw the examples of poor driving that go 'unnoticed' by the authorities that i see on a daily basis, you would understand more why i hold this view of cameras and why i feel they do little to actually improve road safety.

As i said previously, climbing on the pedestal and quoting the rule book is not only pointless (as we know what the rules state) but is also boorish and avoids the wider issue that i have been trying to make that the over emphasis on 'speed' ignores the bigger issue of poor driving standards that actually are a bigger problem on our roads.

I agree with the pendants that continually repeat the phrase of "speeding is speeding and if you get caught etc etc etc"... my complaint about speed cameras are that they do nothing in the combat against poor driving and focus entirely on speed. Less cameras and more patrols would combat the bigger problem but that would mean less revenue for the authorities, hence why cameras are everywhere, patrols are not and bad driving is escalating.

If you saw the examples of poor driving that go 'unnoticed' by the authorities that i see on a daily basis, you would understand more why i hold this view of cameras and why i feel they do little to actually improve road safety.

It's "pedants".

And you're wrong.

First you claimed it's impossible to stay within the law without peering at your speedo, now you are posting unsubstantiated rubbish about safety cameras, proven to save lives.

Speeding is poor driving, cameras free up police officers to attend to other illegal activity on the roads.

It's all about revenue. The government put out anti smoking ads but they don't want people to stop smoking really. It generates too much money!

but that is counter acted with the cost of running a health service, that looks after alot of people who smoke, and the ill effects of smoking. laws are laws, there for a reason, speed limits are there cos some people want to run around at whatever speed they see fit, not worried about the consequences. pay up and learn sorry. i agree with squirrell too, but speeding is part of bad driving you come across allll the time.....what we need, (and its not just a panda car thing, its police on the beat), is more visible coppers.

It's "pedants".

Spoken like a true one.

And you're wrong.

First you claimed it's impossible to stay within the law without peering at your speedo, now you are posting unsubstantiated rubbish about safety cameras, proven to save lives.

Speeding is poor driving, cameras free up police officers to attend to other illegal activity on the roads.

Thats your opinion of course and quite entitled to it you are. However, if you spent nearly as much time as i do cracking those miles off, i strongly suspect your opinion would shift slightly.

Incidentally, your claim that safety cameras are proven to save lives is only supported by organizations with vested interests in their use. Many other motoring organizations disagree and the mainstream media is very much 'out' on the issue.

Archived