Midsomer Murders producer suspended over race row.

taxman

The co-creator of the series defended the lack of racial diversity in the series and claimed it to be "the last bastion of Englishness".

For this he has been suspended by the production company.

What a load of old hooey.

If I want a gritty inner city drama full of drug busts, car chases and a realistic multicultural atmosphere I will watch something else.

If I want a "more tea vicar" story about a quaint village fete upsetting Lord and Lady Arbuthnot I'll watch Midsomer.

I agree with the Guardian columnist Simon Jenkins who said he did not see a problem as the setting for the show was an "old-fashioned English village" and such villages were not known for their multi-ethnicity

Having a black Master of The Hounds would be tokanism at its worst and just plain silly.

Its dissapointing when there's a lack of common sense.

It seems All3Media susspended him, and ITV said it was "shocked and appalled" by the producer's comments. I've been appalled by some things in my time, but this wasnt one of them. Band wagon anyone?

The comment that sparked it "last bastion of Englishness" is unnecessary, but I wouldnt say worthy of the response.

I would say the lack of racial diversity in the series accurately reflects that of the locations used.

My sister lives in a village in Wiltshire, there's not a non-white face to be seen.

Admittedly, as blanco said, the comment "the last bastion of Englishness" was unnecessary, but hardly worthy of reply never-mind a sacking.

Archived