Which Word(s) Do You Avoid Using?

Forgive the confusion; yes, I mean that the kilo should be pronounced as in kilogramme and metre should be pronounced as a unit of measurement rather than as in gasometer, which for some strange reason, is what we call a large tank for holding gas, not for measuring it!!

Sorry but I am an old fart who hates his kids (only kidding)

Mike

I also dislike the Americanism of pronouncing leverage as levverage, a practise now creeping into the BBC. I am pleased to observe that "at this moment in time" seems to be dying out.

Mike

Don't know what any of this has to do with being an ex pat or history, but it's a good thread anyway. I hate what is called upspeak. Making a sentence sound like a question. Very fashionable nowadays.

"Did you like your new history teacher, Billy?"

"Not much. She kept telling silly jokes to the class all the time? Jokes that weren't even funny? She had dyed her hair a weird purple colour? Like she was trying to pretend she was one of us?

"I see. She may have been trying too hard to impress you?"

Only one of those sentences uses a question mark correctly.

Forgive the confusion; yes, I mean that the kilo should be pronounced as in kilogramme and metre should be pronounced as a unit of measurement rather than as in gasometer, which for some strange reason, is what we call a large tank for holding gas, not for measuring it!!

Sorry but I am an old fart who hates his kids (only kidding)

Mike

No worries ... I'm glad we're on the same wavelength.

Regarding the gasometers, though, they do indicate how much gas is in them by how high up the doo-dah is so I guess meter isn't a total misnomer in that case.

Don't know what any of this has to do with being an ex pat or history, but it's a good thread anyway. I hate what is called upspeak. Making a sentence sound like a question. Very fashionable nowadays.

"Did you like your new history teacher, Billy?"

"Not much. She kept telling silly jokes to the class all the time? Jokes that weren't even funny? She had dyed her hair a weird purple colour? Like she was trying to pretend she was one of us?

"I see. She may have been trying too hard to impress you?"

Only one of those sentences uses a question mark correctly.

:hihi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluCvL0lRnI

walkway on the side of the road, what do you use pavement ??have you not started to pave your roads must me very confusing if u don't know what part of the road u on must lose a lot of tourists and your friends from Asia:hihi:

We call a footpath a footpath and our Joto used to as well but she's been over there a long time, when we get there we'll teach her good old Yorkshire:hihi::hihi::hihi: On Ilkley Moor bah'tat, then twerms'll come and eat thee up:hihi::hihi:

Innovative as I can never say it without trying really hard.

Thief as, when I was at primary school, it was in a book and I kept saying feef, the teacher humiliated me by making me say it over and over again. I felt stupid.

Diorrhea (sp) as I can't spell it. See, that's my spelling without checking. I've got an English degree and I still can't spell it! Diarrhoea is correct by the way. I do check before using it or use stomach upset :hihi:

Edited by EdnaKrabappe
*Couldn't spell innovative today either- added an extra n