Save Childrens Cardiac Surgery @ Leeds General

That's one hell of a post, based on a presumption.

Leeds does far more of childrens heart operations than Newcastle does each year. They are far more experienced. The surgeons themselves believe it is ludicrous to consider moving these cases to Newcastle and have been on television saying so.

I am very grateful to the OP for raising this. I have friends who have needed this facility for their children several times, and they have been through hell. They have had to put things in a bag with a couple of hours notice, as a slot has become available within a couple of hours at Leeds - they would have had no chance, getting everything together and up to Newcastle in this time window.

Thank you for the support!

from what theyre saying i dont think newcastle would shut down either way, as 1 reporter put it "leeds would shut down as a costcutting exercise with newcastle & liverpool being the central hospitals for the north of england which is of more benefit to surgeons than patients"

This is NOT a cost cutting exercise it's a clinical governance driven process, the current network of units are not seeing enough cases each per year to maintain currency.

Closure of the inpatient unit does not mean that out patient clinics , imaging etc will not be available as they currently are... just that the inpatient units are being reconfigured.

It also has to be pointed out that the retrieval and critical care transfer systems currently in place in the UK are substantially better than even a few years ago - again driven by clinical governance concerns

and Freeman Hospital in Newcastle is a major cardiothoracic unit and one of the few centres in the UK doing transplants ... so the support services etc are in place ...

its absolutely disgraceful that this is happening. The unit has helped so many children. My friend and her husband had a beautiful baby boy and this unit turned his life around. there are so many children that need this. why have places at either end of the country, why close the central one. beggars belief. I hope that by raising this issue and the profile that there will be a retraction in the closing.

its absolutely disgraceful that this is happening. The unit has helped so many children. My friend and her husband had a beautiful baby boy and this unit turned his life around. there are so many children that need this. why have places at either end of the country, why close the central one. beggars belief. I hope that by raising this issue and the profile that there will be a retraction in the closing.

agreed disgraceful takeing this service away from kids is just madness

My friend had a baby 4 months ago with a hole in his heart. 2 weeks after being taken home they took him to hospital (a sheffield one) and got transferred to leeds immediately. He had to be resuscitated and they almost lost him. He also wouldn't have made it to Newcastle if it wasn't there.

This cannot happen big thank you to the OP, for bringing this to my attention.

10 years ago nearly to the day we was worried sick over the prognosis facing our daughter, she was born with a hole in her heart and needed to be operated on when she was just 6 weeks old by a surgeon called Mr Dickinson who was coming up to retirement at the time.

I don't like to knock the Sheffield Childrens Hospital because the medical team has been good to us over the last 10 years but LGH was in another league when it came to calming you nerves/general bedside manner and the nursing staff couldn't do enough for us the 3 times we visited between 2001-2005

Archived