Royal Wootton Bassett

I have a feeling that this wont go down too well, Im not trolling or wanting to cause offence, but personally, I don't go for all this military parading, even for the fallen; its an American thing and not really the British way. I know a former soldier who feels this way also, in fact, people would be surprised how many soldiers take this view, when soldiers return from active duty, most of them just want to go home.

I have a feeling that this wont go down too well, Im not trolling or wanting to cause offence, but personally, I don't go for all this military parading, even for the fallen; its an American thing and not really the British way. I know a former soldier who feels this way also, in fact, people would be surprised how many soldiers take this view, when soldiers return from active duty, most of them just want to go home.
Which is probably true but the soldiers returning to RWB aren't in a position to want anything. The town deserves it. There can surely be no question of that

Which is probably true but the soldiers returning to RWB aren't in a position to want anything. The town deserves it. There can surely be no question of that

Sure, the town deserves recognition, I was just commenting on the military's point of view of parades in general, a lot of soldiers find it a bore.

Sure, the town deserves recognition, I was just commenting on the military's point of view of parades in general, a lot of soldiers find it a bore.

I think you are speaking to the wrong soldiers then. Its a way to remember the fallen, remember their mates that they have lost. I know some squaddies just want to get home to family and get ******, but EVERY member of the forces should respect these events. Its like a memorial service and also a way of local people that appreciate the forces to pay their thanks.

I used to live at RAF Lyneham and work in Air Traffic control. Luckily, we weren't a war when I was there, I think it would be hard having all them bodies driven through Bassett.

I think its a great recognition. I believe that they will be doing this at Brize now.

.................what will happen to the soldiers who are repatriated after September when the base (RAF Lynam?) closes? Will another town do as Royal Wootton Bassett has done?

I'm not sure. There are towns and villages on the route, but what springs to my mind is, will they be accused of jumping on Wootton Bassett's bandwagon? (Or, conversely, will they be accused of not caring if they don't?)

Archived