Are you having a street party for William's wedding?

As I never claimed the USA declared war on Germany I hardly need to check my facts, although you probably need to check your glasses.

Incidentally......

http://usa.usembassy.de/etexts/ga3-411211.htm

...the USA did declare war on Germany so it is you that needs to check their facts.

The first sentence on your link states that Roosevelt in a message to Congress clearly states that Germany did in fact declare war against the US on December 11th and every historian since then has declared it to be a historical fact. Hitler declared it because it was part of a prior Axis agreement with Japan

Actually you raise a good point, all of the Empire/Commonwealth/Dominions waded in to help. There contribution and sacrifice was enormous.

But the point is surely, that was then, it seems to me and i believe many others that the institution of monarchy as we have known it is wrong for now.

The Queen is a great woman, but can anyone seriously justify the presence, of the hangers on?

We could have a vibrant forward looking, in touch monarchy that was a lot smaller and relevant to the 21st century.

The fact that Sarah Ferguson, her gormlesss ex husband, Prindcess michael Of kent, and dozens more are maintained and public expense is ridiculous.

If the Aussies and the canadians want em fine, pay for em.

Next to the British the largest contingent of pilots were Polish. By the time of the Battle of Britain There were several thousand Poles under arms in the UK. I

You said it was easy to find so i assumed you'd already done it.

It just seems odd that you'd spend more time replying to me than it would take to look.

Amazingly, less than a second later I found these:-

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Overview.aspx

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/newscontent/92-2010-annual-results.htm

"The Queen receives a set amount of £7.9 million per annum."

From which

"The Duke of York (£249,000 per annum)

The Earl of Wessex (£141,000 per annum)

The Princess Royal (£228,000 per annum)

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (£175,000 per annum)

The Duke and Duchess of Kent (£236,000 per annum)

Princess Alexandra (£225,000 per annum)."

Charles lives from his income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

"In 2006-2007 the revenue surplus received by the Treasury from the Crown Estates was £200 million."

It was £210.7m last year, which doesn't even begin to realise how much they generate indirectly from tourism and trade.

Probably far more than the Crown Estates.

There are no figures for security, but some estimate this to be around 150m. Even then, they're still net contributors.

I thought that was what we were trying to put a figure on in this thread ?

That may be, I thought it was about party's ;)

However, I was responding to your question regarding my statement that the Royals are net contributors to the economy:-

orly?

Do we have any figures to prove this ?

Archived