Are you having a street party for William's wedding?

I'm sure that there will be sufficient disinterest in this amongst the British moaning classes to allow the powers that be not to dish out extra holidays for such events in future.

I'm sure there is sufficient interest in the bank holiday, just not in the reason for it.

I suppose we could all pretend, put on Prince Will facemasks or wave novelty flags a bit in order to look sufficiently grateful and respectful and ever so humble.

That wasn't a Royal Wedding. It was civil. If Camilla has any children by Charles then they are not heir to the thrown, I believe.

If Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (b. 17 July 1947), were to ever have another baby, it would make medically history since she has no womb, having undergone a hysterectomy in March 2007. Furthermore, the Duchess, at age 63, most probably passed through menopause before this time since menopause usually occurs between 45 and 55.

If Camilla did have a child (which she won't), he or she would be forth in line for the throne behind the Prince of Wales himself, Prince William, and Prince Harry.

I'm sure there is sufficient interest in the bank holiday, just not in the reason for it.

I suppose we could all pretend, put on Prince Will facemasks or wave novelty flags a bit in order to look sufficiently grateful and respectful and ever so humble.

That's what I love about the English. They really know how to throw away everything that makes people want to visit their country in some mad desire to descend into mediocrity.

Oh well. If you want to celebrate the Royal Wedding you can always come to Canada. Out local hotel is planning a huge bash, with prices suitably adjusted for the occasion.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/vanity/royalty

I saw this report concerning Hull. Their city council has not received a single application for a street party to celebrate the wedding of Wills & Kate.

Are we all too busy nowadays to organise such an event or is the community spirit missing? Do we no longer want to celebrate with our neighbours in a collective outpouring of joy?

Or have we had enough of The Royals altogether or this couple in particular?

The last street party I attended was for the Queen's Silver Jubilee and that was organised by the local pit.

What is there to celebrate? I hardly feel it is appropriate to toast the lives of two privileged strangers who are burdening the taxpayer in the middle of a recession.

It is just the sort of thing to antagonise the community, not unite it. Charles and Diana's wedding may have been popular in the early 80s but then so were Pop socks.

That's what I love about the English. They really know how to throw away everything that makes people want to visit their country in some mad desire to descend into mediocrity.

Oh well. If you want to celebrate the Royal Wedding you can always come to Canada. Out local hotel is planning a huge bash, with prices suitably adjusted for the occasion.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/vanity/royalty

If people want to visit the country there's much more to see than a privileged few who have very little in common with the majority of the citizens of the UK. I don't mind them marrying, in fact I wish them well. I just don't think one penny of it should come from the public purse.

Why don't you guys have them? Im sure they will happily follow the highest bidder.

Of the growing lack of understanding about the difference between rights and priviledges (not forgetting duties), so unsurprising of today's I'm-owed-the-world society :(

He's your next king, and he's getting hitched... Have a little national pride, FFS! :rolleyes:

oooh! get you! fan boy FFS
He'll never be my king, neither is your queen mine, so how on earth could I be a 'fanboy'? :huh:

I couldn't care less. But, from the majority of posts on this thread, it looks like I have been seriously misjudging the average Brit's character and persona, of late. Oh well. Or, thankfully, it's a completely non-representative sample that's posted so far.

After that, if many Brits have gotten too brainwashed/resentful/self-centered (delete as appropriate) to realise that the royals are still more of an asset to the UK than a liability...then the current state of affairs/society doesn't exactly come as a surprise, does it :rolleyes::hihi:

Archived