Are you having a street party for William's wedding?

I'm sure there is sufficient interest in the bank holiday, just not in the reason for it.

I suppose we could all pretend, put on Prince Will facemasks or wave novelty flags a bit in order to look sufficiently grateful and respectful and ever so humble.

Haha!

I don't actually know anyone who cares about the 'royal wedding'. We should all give up the day off :hihi:

Such a fanboy that he doesn't even know the line of succession. Unless he knows something about Charlie that we don't.
Yes, he's divorced, remarried, and just about publicly cuckold just by briefly looking at the youngest of his sprogs...a fine king he'd make I'm sure ;)

That link you provided shows that people visited buildings, they didn't visit The Queen. The buildings would exist without the monarchy. The Palace of Versailles still attracts tourists - they don't seem bothered that they won't get a personal appearance from Louis XIV.
Quite the artificial argument, since neither you nor I can ever know how many more (or less) tourists adding some live-in French monarchy to Versailles would bring.

As aside, tourists know they won't get a personal appearance from Louis XIV, since he's been dead about 300 years :hihi:

Well if you don't want a street party, you could at least buy a mug to celebrate with....

http://www.guandongenterprisesltd.com/

It's such a pity that they've printed a picture of the WRONG Prince on it. :banana:

That's brilliant.

Writes to Quandong Enterprises - "Please rush me 500 of your limited edition commemorative mugs" :hihi:

The phrase royal wedding is almost as depressing and rage-inducing as the phrase Tory government.

I know, I wonder if there'll be rioting on the streets the last time there was a royal wedding and a Tory government?

We're having a street party, but it's nothing to do with the Royal Wedding. It's to do with having a party.

And anyone who doesn't think Charles will be our next king must know something we don't, specifically some change to the laws of succession by which the Royal Family is bound.

The reason I really started the thread was because of the street party aspect. I just couldn't see an occasion when the people on our street would want to come together collectively to celebrate something, anything.

There are about 24 houses on our little cul-de-sac. I know 3 other households to say hello to (including my ex boss next door) but the rest I wouldn't know from Adam. There are also few children on our road. In t'olden days, and remembering back to '77 practically every house had 2 or 3 generations living it. People had families with 2,3,4 kids who all played out together.

There was a focus in the community - on my street it was the pit, and they would organise trips to the seaside, and street parties etc.

I think we are a lot more insular nowadays. Get home from work, close the front door, shut the curtains and that's it. A lot less interaction with neighbours, the odd looking after a cat sometime or borrowing a screwdriver.

Archived