Are you having a street party for William's wedding?

Nope. quite categorically not celebrating. At all.

I mean... the Royals didn't throw a street party, when I got married, did they?

I'd have thought a street party would be appropriate to celebrate a National success or a major triumph over adversity....even then I doubt there would be a consensus amongst enough people to see street parties up and down the country. Maybe we just aren't so homogenous these days.

Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see Wills and Kate, I certainly wouldn't want to sit at a table with a bunch of strangers eating Victoria Sponge and chicken legs.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a few street parties, particularly in this neck of the woods, when a certain ex Tory PM pops her cloggs

Ah, now... call me vindictive, but that is one party I will be attending. and celebrating with all my might!

That's what I love about the English. They really know how to throw away everything that makes people want to visit their country in some mad desire to descend into mediocrity. http://www.fairmont.com/empress/vanity/royalty

This myth has been perpetuated for far too long. Tourisits do not come here to see the Royal family, as by definition this is largely impossible. Does anyone honestly believe that the millions who visit London, or more specifically Buckingham Palace, do so because they might see the Queen?

As someone who lives in London, I can say with reasonable confidence that the tourist industry thrives here because of the diversity, heritage and architecture, not because of a family that for the most part, don't even live here.

If you get rid of the Royals, the buildings will still be here. Moreover, if there ARE any visitors out there whose raison d'etre for coming here is to see "that Queen" then they are even more stupid than people give them credit for.

If you are considering having a street party, please dont, it will just encourage them.

Also consider my blood pressure.

If the country does go mad and "celebrates" this non event I shall follow the advice of Mr Anthony Aloysius Hancock of East Cheam by taking one of my sleeping tablets on the morning of the event an waking up when its all over.

It's one example, there are countless others. It's not misleading at all, you're just being needlessly punctilious (in the habitual quote-me-a-source-I-don't-believe-you-yadda-yadda-yadda that's so prevalent on Internet fora).

Nonsense. I'm not twisting any words at all.

The Queen is not the number one tourist attraction in Britain. That is not true.

the article said it was true and it is not. I don't need to twist any words, it is clear as day.

This is not me being punctilious it is just a fact.

Be as punctilious as you want, the point of the matter is, people come visit here because of the 'mornarchy' (not to "see the Queen" :rolleyes:, although I'm pretty certain a lot of tourists secretly hope to catch a glimpse when they come over). The Brit monarchy sells to the tourists and brings them in, has for a long time - after that, twist words however you want to score points.
I've already written something I consider an appropriate response to this, you seemingly ignored it, and decided to rudely dismiss it with an 'etc' despite the fact that it contained several points that you did not attempt to address. Still, I suppose that's what ctrl C is for.

It's the houses that belong to the royal family that in fact are the major tourist attractions. People don't come to see the queen, they come to experience the history by looking at Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle etc. I have enjoyed visiting Windsor Castle a couple of times greatly, and I'm a staunch republican.

If we got rid of the royals we could open these places up fully, turn them into full on proper tourist attractions and probably make even more money from them.

And besides, even if that were not the case, that doesn't alter my original point which is that its simply not true to say that the Queen is our number 1 tourist attraction.

I saw this report concerning Hull. Their city council has not received a single application for a street party to celebrate the wedding of Wills & Kate.

Are we all too busy nowadays to organise such an event or is the community spirit missing? Do we no longer want to celebrate with our neighbours in a collective outpouring of joy?

Or have we had enough of The Royals altogether or this couple in particular?

The last street party I attended was for the Queen's Silver Jubilee and that was organised by the local pit.

I have no interest in some strangers getting married. And I wouldn't have a street party if it was friends, I'd go to the wedding.

What a ridiculous idea. I think I might go away for the weekend instead, somewhere abroad.

This myth has been perpetuated for far too long. Tourisits do not come here to see the Royal family, as by definition this is largely impossible. Does anyone honestly believe that the millions who visit London, or more specifically Buckingham Palace, do so because they might see the Queen?

As someone who lives in London, I can say with reasonable confidence that the tourist industry thrives here because of the diversity, heritage and architecture, not because of a family that for the most part, don't even live here.

If you get rid of the Royals, the buildings will still be here. Moreover, if there ARE any visitors out there whose raison d'etre for coming here is to see "that Queen" then they are even more stupid than people give them credit for.

I went to look at the Palace of Versailles in Paris recently, and they got rid of their monarchy quite some time ago!

Archived