Are you having a street party for William's wedding?

but I was always under the impression that the Poles didn't have a choice about their involvement in WW2.:loopy:

They had a choice to be in The Battle of Britain.

It's a moot point because you can't prove causality. Canada, Australia and New Zealand didn't join WW2 for the sole reason of protecting the honour of George VI.

I suppose you need to ask yourself if Canadadians, Australians and New Zealanders would have been involved in the Battle of Britain had the British monarch not been their Head of State.

Well, the world would be a very different place without monarchy, taking one event in isolation like that is rather silly. Who knows how the 20th century would've gone without royal families in europe.

They had a choice to be in The Battle of Britain.

It's a moot point because you can't prove causality. Canada, Australia and New Zealand didn't join WW2 for the sole reason of protecting the honour of George VI.

What total and absolute rubbish.

Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and a few Polish pilots escaped to the UK and took part in a war against a country with whom their country was at war.

Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were not attacked by Germany but their governments declared war on germany because the British king was their head of state. This contibuted around 1 million service men to the defence of the realm.

Please note that countries like the USA did not declare war on Germany because they didn't have George as head of state.

As Canada, New Zealand and Australia were the only countries to willingly join in the conflict against Germany, I would love to hear your made up explanation for why that was.

As Canada, New Zealand and Australia were the only countries to willingly join in the conflict against Germany, I would love to hear your made up explanation for why that was.

The political might of the Commonwealth was a factor, I'll agree with that. It's too simplistic to boil it down "they loved King George" though. That is my point.

I promised myself I'd stop bickering on here about monarchy. I keep getting trapped. :)

People actually do go to Buckingham Palace in hopes of seeing the Queen and also to watch the changing of the guard.

Just go there during the tourist season if you doubt my statement.

I dare say if the monarchy were got rid off along with all the ceremony and pomp a collection of castles and palaces turned museums wouldn't remain much of a torurist attraction for more than a couple of decades.

What total and absolute rubbish.

Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and a few Polish pilots escaped to the UK and took part in a war against a country with whom their country was at war.

Canada, Australia, and New Zealand were not attacked by Germany but their governments declared war on germany because the British king was their head of state. This contibuted around 1 million service men to the defence of the realm.

Please note that countries like the USA did not declare war on Germany because they didn't have George as head of state.

Many Poles made their way to England to join the army also. A Polish parachute brigade was dropped on Arnem to bolster the British paras during Montgomery's disasterous Market Garden operation in July 1944 and was soon slaughtered by the German Panzers.

The Polish brigade also fought with great distinction in Italy. They hated the Germans with a passion and were great allies and courageous fighters. We had a neighbour who had fought with the Polish Brigade

People actually do go to Buckingham Palace in hopes of seeing the Queen and also to watch the changing of the guard.

Just go there during the tourist season if you doubt my statement.

I dare say if the monarchy were got rid off along with all the ceremony and pomp a collection of castles and palaces turned museums wouldn't remain much of a torurist attraction for more than a couple of decades.

Don't you find it strange then how they still come when the Queen is abroad doing a tour? As others have said tourists will still come regardless as most of them know they wont actually see the Queen. Its about our history and grand buildings and not her as a person. The changing of the guard and other pomp was put in place by Queen Victoria to bolster the flagging interest in the royals and was done for show. It will still go on as it does not need the presence of royalty.

Archived