Car service shock!

Booked my girlfriends car in for a service at a local garage in Walkley on monday. She had the day off work (for which she needs her car) and the garage is within walking distance to my house which seemed ideal.

The garage website is impressive and contained a page of testimonials from satisfied customers extolling the service (no pun) they received.

The proprietor told me that the required service for the car would be around £87 ... oil filter, oil change, air filter, brake check, diagnostics etc etc (just the standard stuff) It was impossible for him to give a definitive quote as there may be some extras such as light bulbs and screen wipers (which were fine as the car's just been MOT'd) I fully understood his point and the car was delivered to him.

My GF was chuffed with me as I'd sorted stuff out for her which she didn't have the time to do (at a good price too)

We went to collect the car in the afternoon and were told that everything was fine and presented with the bill ... £327!!

We were gobsmacked! The proprietor explained he'd had to replace a timing belt tensioner (jockey wheel?) as it was worn and could cause damage to the engine at a future date.

Be this as it may (I've no reason to doubt him), considering he had my phone number, do you think it was right for him to do the work without him asking before carrying out the work? He knew the car was required for the next day to enable my GF to go to work (visiting doctors surgeries to see clients)

She had no option but to pay as without the car she'd miss all her appointments.

Is this standard practice from a garage or am I just being stupid?

I would have expected a phone call to confirm before any work was carried out.

Not sure how this stands legally. You didn't ask for the work to be done, so should you have to pay for it?

If I get home tonight and find the decorators next door have finished early and taken it upon themselves to paint my house, I would not feel obliged to pay them. As it needs doing anyway though, I might.

Let us know what happens.

I'd have expected to be called to query doing the work needed at that point with a cost difference that great and I know that the policies for the garages that I've worked at were to discuss a price with the client before starting the work and either not to do the work (if you can't get in contact with them) or consult them before starting any work which is going to increase that cost.

What would have happened if you genuinely didn't have the money to pay the service cost and so had to leave the car with him? One day that will backfire on him and he'll find himself in a court battle for someone to get their car back because they didn't give authorisation for work to be done and so won't pay the bill.

Before you start wading in and seeing trading standards, speak to the garage. There could have been a genuine mix-up. Perhaps they have two cars the same in and the mechanic thought he had spoken to you?

Best to rule out the genuine mistake first - we all make them, and it sounds like the work needed doing. It did need doing, didn't it?

Absolutely agree with the post above mine, Garages do this quiet often. I run a car sales business and truly find this infuriating. There are no good reasons to be doing the work at 4 times the cost with out consulting you before hand.

They should have done the intended service and then called you about it and if they were unable to contact you, Then let you know at the collection time the belt was due to be done.

The only thing I can say is that the timing belt is a service requirement after so many miles, But he should have known this when taking your car in.

do you think it was right for him to do the work without him asking before carrying out the work?

No, absolutely not, a garage should ALWAYS contact you first about carrying out any work on your car. Garages would of course love to have carte blanche to do whatever work they want and charge you accordingly, but they haven't.

Archived