Car service shock!

Many years ago my car was in a garage for some insurance work and when I picked it up they wanted me to pay the excess, I said it wasn’t my fault and there was no excess as the insurance were claiming it all back from the other party.

I was left in no uncertain terms that the car was going nowhere until the excess was paid, I later got it back from the insurance company but you see what I mean, possession is 9 10ths of the law.

They had my car and it was going nowhere until I sorted it out.

I'm 100% with you mate, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, but a few years ago anyone who tried that one on me would soon be sampling hospital food. Bloody cheeky buggers, they ought to be made to supply customers with an estimate, and their terms and conditions of business.

Perhaps a mod might kindly oblige on this. We are allowed to shout the praises of firms that we have good experiences with, but cannot name and shame the cowboys, why is this? :confused:

Its legal stuff mate and if you don't get your facts write they will sew your arse off

Many years ago my car was in a garage for some insurance work and when I picked it up they wanted me to pay the excess, I said it wasn’t my fault and there was no excess as the insurance were claiming it all back from the other party.

I was left in no uncertain terms that the car was going nowhere until the excess was paid, I later got it back from the insurance company but you see what I mean, possession is 9 10ths of the law.

They had my car and it was going nowhere until I sorted it out.

It is your responsibility to pay the uninsured liability (excess) and then claim it back from the guilty party or his/her insurers. You will no doubt have the like of DAS within your policy schedule, quite strangely Irwin Mitchell Solicitors are leaders in this field.

Its legal stuff mate and if you don't get your facts write they will sew your arse off

Legal stuff works both ways, I have £20,000 legal expenses cover on my home contents policy, I wonder what amount the cowboy garage proprietor has. ;)

It is your responsibility to pay the uninsured liability (excess) and then claim it back from the guilty party or his/her insurers. You will no doubt have the like of DAS within your policy schedule, quite strangely Irwin Mitchell Solicitors are leaders in this field.

Very true, that happened to me where I paid the excess and claimed it back from Insurance.

I think we have lost the plot somewhere, the OP was held to ransom ………. pay the bill and sort it out latter just as I was in my case …….. that was my point about possession being 9 10ths of the law.

I had basically the same experience here a couple of years ago. I wish I'd done the same as you guys and asked for a refund but I just paid up and seethed about it.

He's obviouusly been doing it for years! What annoyed me alsmost more than anything was the great big "Good Garage Scheme" advert plastered too the front of the place.

I believe you can make comments of here about your experience btw

The GOOD GARAGE SCHEME is operated by Forte who market oil and fuel additives. Garages have to pay to join and use oil and fuel additives on each service. In my opinion the scheme does not check any garage, it relies on feedback from customers. Be careful just because a garage is a member, it may not be good or trustworthy. The only thing guaranteed is you will be charged for engine flush and fuel additive and get a service sheet with the good garage scheme on it. To be honest having worked in the motor trade now for 23 years, The good garage scheme is not worth anything, customer recommendation is your best judge of a garage

• 2 months later...

I normally like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this just seems like a MASSIVE coincidence - I had my last car for a year and never had a problem with the engine. It was extremely reliable and fired up instantly every time. I take it to this garage after a bonnet malfunction, have a huge argument with the proprietor over him doubling the quote for the work, refuse to pay over the quote, take my car, give my car to a friend as promised... she has the car for 1 month and it has to be scrapped because of a hole in the engine which has been leaking oil! Now this car had JUST been serviced by the same garage a couple weeks before he fixed the bonnet so it had been completely checked over. I find it a little funny how it somehow developed a hole in the engine immediately after it was in the care of someone I had a problem with. The day I picked it up from them I told my husband I wouldn't be surprised if they'd done something to it because I refused to accept their BS. I'm really angry about it because I spent hundreds of pounds on it just before I passed it to my friend and she barely even got to drive it. Maybe it was all a huge coincidence but I don't think so - just a word of warning about this garage.

Archived