Car service shock!

I normally like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this just seems like a MASSIVE coincidence - I had my last car for a year and never had a problem with the engine. It was extremely reliable and fired up instantly every time. I take it to this garage after a bonnet malfunction, have a huge argument with the proprietor over him doubling the quote for the work, refuse to pay over the quote, take my car, give my car to a friend as promised... she has the car for 1 month and it has to be scrapped because of a hole in the engine which has been leaking oil! Now this car had JUST been serviced by the same garage a couple weeks before he fixed the bonnet so it had been completely checked over. I find it a little funny how it somehow developed a hole in the engine immediately after it was in the care of someone I had a problem with. The day I picked it up from them I told my husband I wouldn't be surprised if they'd done something to it because I refused to accept their BS. I'm really angry about it because I spent hundreds of pounds on it just before I passed it to my friend and she barely even got to drive it. Maybe it was all a huge coincidence but I don't think so - just a word of warning about this garage.

You have my full sympathy shaz. Since starting this thread I've heard nothing but bad stories about this garage (not just the ones on SF).

I was fortunate to pay up and take my G/F's car before taking action, which in my case worked.

Mr 'Petunia' (shall we call him?) seems to run a very spurious business.

Maybe we could report him to that TV programme 'Rogue Traders' with Matt Allwright? There seem to be quite a few people who've had similar problems on SF.

I doubt if you could prove that they sabotaged the engine on your car as you say it's been scrapped.

It would however be satisfying to see the guy being investigated on TV. I'd be happy to report his business practices.

You have my full sympathy shaz. Since starting this thread I've heard nothing but bad stories about this garage (not just the ones on SF).

I was fortunate to pay up and take my G/F's car before taking action, which in my case worked.

Mr 'Petunia' (shall we call him?) seems to run a very spurious business.

Maybe we could report him to that TV programme 'Rogue Traders' with Matt Allwright? There seem to be quite a few people who've had similar problems on SF.

I doubt if you could prove that they sabotaged the engine on your car as you say it's been scrapped.

It would however be satisfying to see the guy being investigated on TV. I'd be happy to report his business practices.

The most upsetting thing is that I'M the one he had a problem with and yet the only person this has harmed is my friend because I passed the car straight to her and she had nothing to do with our 'disagreement'. There's some mean people in this world. The problem, as you said, is proving it - it's almost impossible to prove they tampered with the engine as it would have been done behind closed doors.

Hi i am a citroen mechanic and i cant get my head around this the prize you paid is way way over the top. If it is a petrol model they is no jocky wheel runing on the timing belt only a tensioner for the timing belt, At our gragae the most you would have paid for a full service timing and tensioner kit plus aux belt using only geniune parts is about £180 +vat the timing belt is only a hours work on these cars. Ask him to justify the labour cost and the prize of the parts

I hate to see people get ripped off places like this give us all a bad name

first mechanic i've known who does not know how to spell price

because of a hole in the engine which has been leaking oil!

TBH this may be nothing to do with this garage.

Engines have gullies running through the (to distribute the oil). During casting the block, holes are left that are later plugged using (relatively) thin metal. Very occasionally these can corode or pop out. The engine would then empty rather quickly.

Mr 'Petunia' (shall we call him?)

<REMOVED>:D.

Well done the OP for getting your overcharged for money back.As we all seem to know the garage in question perhaps more unhappy customers will do the same and demand any monies charged over the original quote back.I think you can go back six years to claim in the county court.Always ask for a quote not an estimate in writing before having any work done and don't ask for a service ask for a service for what ever millage/interval the car has covered .Your service record will tell you what needs doing at what millage or time interval.Such things like disc pads, light bulbs etc would need changing as required.

Engines have gullies running through the (to distribute the oil). During casting the block, holes are left that are later plugged using (relatively) thin metal. Very occasionally these can corode or pop out. The engine would then empty rather quickly.

Possibly, but very unlikely.

I think you are talking about core plugs used to plug water ways oil gallery's are usually threaded.

To be honest Rampent, the only strange noise coming from the car was by the 'Fleet foxes' on the CD! I remedied this by supplying (and fitting!) 'The Suburbs' by Arcade fire.

To be serious ... no, the cambelt wasn't changed, it's got another 40,000 miles left yet. Something called the jockey wheel was changed (not got the paperwork ... GF has) Think this is some kind of tensioner to the timing belt.

I get so mad when people get ripped off by garages like this.

First, doing this work without contacting you and getting your approval is totally unacceptable.

Second, although I don't know your car precisely, I will say this categorically if he changed the jockey wheel or any part of the timing drive system without changing the belt (and possibly other components depending on which engine is fitted) at the same time, the guy is not a competent mechanic.

I wonder how he knew to go looking for timing issues? I suspect that its an easy one to fool unsuspecting customers into parting with cash with out doing any work.

Could the problem be in not knowing what a “ service” is, If the belt wants changing at 45,000 miles then they have done what you asked for ………. A service.

Having said that I would have thought they should have phoned you up to highlight the point that it was in need of changing.

Yes I thought this, if I take my car in for a scheduled service then I expect that it will be carried out to the manufacturers recommendations. I also agree with your second point that a courtesy phone call to warn me of the potential costs would be appreciated too.

Archived