Car service shock!

Could the problem be in not knowing what a “ service” is, If the belt wants changing at 45,000 miles then they have done what you asked for ………. A service.

Having said that I would have thought they should have phoned you up to highlight the point that it was in need of changing.

That wouldn't be part of the service, that would be an additional bit of work which is recommended at a given distance, and if it was needed a garage should tell you that and include it in the quote (you did see in the OP several months ago that they gave him a quote for the service for which he'd booked in the car?)

A cam belt change at 45,000 miles is not mentioned in the service manual ... it's just a bog standard service. The car in question is a Citroen C3 ... hardly high performance!

From the top of my head (not having the service manual in front of me), I believe the cam belt should be changed at around 80,000 miles.

If the car is doing a lot of short "start stop" journeys then it is advisable to change the cambelt at around 40000 miles. Though the issue here is that the tensioner pulley is not part of a service and even then shouldn't be worn after only 40000 miles. If it was changed then you would definitely change the belt at the same time anyway.

That wouldn't be part of the service, that would be an additional bit of work which is recommended at a given distance, and if it was needed a garage should tell you that and include it in the quote (you did see in the OP several months ago that they gave him a quote for the service for which he'd booked in the car?)

A “service” is a pretty vague term, if the garage quotes a price but then when they check the mileage and manufactures spec they find out extra work needs doing they should phone you and let you know and that’s what I said. ( yes I did see the OP)

Having said that I would have thought they should have phoned you up to highlight the point that it was in need of changing.

When my wife last had a service she got a call saying that according to her mileage the pollen filter needs changing :huh: we didn’t even know it had a pollen filter. :hihi:

No, a service is a specific set of things that should be done to a car at a specific time or distance internal. The handbook for the car would list exactly what those things are in case of doubt, but they don't vary that much between cars.

Pollen filter is one of the things that varies as some cars don't have one.

No, a service is a specific set of things that should be done to a car at a specific time or distance internal. The handbook for the car would list exactly what those things are in case of doubt, but they don't vary that much between cars.

Pollen filter is one of the things that varies as some cars don't have one.

A service to some means plugs, filters, oil and brakes but as you say it does have a specific meaning” if” you go by the book …….. does this mean by asking for a service you are asking for a cam belt change if its on the manufactures list.

A service to some means plugs, filters, oil and brakes but as you say it does have a specific meaning” if” you go by the book …….. does this mean by asking for a service you are asking for a cam belt change if its on the manufactures list.

yes, you would expect all the operations listed to be completed.

• 4 months later...
That’s all I was saying right from the start …….. when people ask for a “service” they need to be more careful what it is they are asking for.

No.

If you ask the price of a service, and are quoted £87, if you say "yes", then you are saying yes to the £87 service.

Archived