Car service shock!

He didn't phone you before doing the work and your phone records will prove this. I would go back and demand a refund and if he refuses tell him you will be taking legal action to recover costs.

Personally i would in a calm manner tell him that if my money isn't returned then he would be meeting a couple of my mates who will then smash his head in, wrong i know but sometimes these things have to be said to get back your money.

Not quite sure what happened there ... posts removed.

Just to say, in answer to one of those posts ... the car's a Citroen C3 with 45000 on the clock and has a full service history and is definitely not on 'its last legs'

Was the car making any strange noise from the engine? The part he alledgedly changed is only accessed by taking the timing belt housing off. A very unusual practice on a car with that mileage and FSH. Did he state he changed the cambelt too?

Could the problem be in not knowing what a “ service” is, If the belt wants changing at 45,000 miles then they have done what you asked for ………. A service.

Having said that I would have thought they should have phoned you up to highlight the point that it was in need of changing.

If you are slightly competent with a spanner then servicing the car yourself is by far the cheapest route, a couple of hours and you'll be sorted.

Parts to do basic service probably about £40 - £50 from Euro Car Parts,

2 hours work (max)

Some garages really take the biscuit with servicing and it looks like you've been unlucky. They should have called and spoken to you about the extra cost.

Could the problem be in not knowing what a “ service” is, If the belt wants changing at 45,000 miles then they have done what you asked for ………. A service.

Having said that I would have thought they should have phoned you up to highlight the point that it was in need of changing.

Most modern cars can last on the same belt well into 100,000 miles. Not like the old days! I think this model might require a change pushing 150,000 miles!

Archived