Car service shock!

Well, I'm glad I started this thread ... I've learned a lesson!

From PM's I've learned the garage in question seems to have a history of bad business practices.

Hopefully it'll make people more aware when seeking somewhere to have a car service.

I can't name the garage in Walkley on here but if you want to know, you're more than welcome to PM me.

I realise I have no chance of renumeration but I can make the proprietor of the garage aware of this thread ... maybe he'll change his work ethics.

It seems everybody thinks it's unfair to charge over treble the price quoted and replace parts without even asking before undertaking the work (even though they had a contact number)

That is absolutely disgusting. However you've let him get away with it buy paying up! Imagine how many people he cons in this way (assuming it's not a genuine mistake, not read whole thread) and gets away with it.

If you don’t pay you don’t get your car back ………… knowing your rights is one thing , Exercising them is another …….. What would you do ?

It sounds very much like the old trick of "oh look, a woman, she'll know nothing about cars so we can gouge her". I have a feeling that they do have an obligation to contact you if there is any new work needing doing. I would contact your local CAB and check the legal status and go from there depending on their advice.

The proprietor explained he'd had to replace a timing belt tensioner (jockey wheel?) as it was worn and could cause damage to the engine at a future date.

My tensioner/jockey wheel collapsed and that was pretty much the end of the engine. So it's certainly something that needs changing if worn.

That said, I would expect the garage to tell me about it before actually commencing with the work and adding unexpected charges.

After reading this thread its not a matter of whether he fitted a cambelt or not or whether anyone else can do it cheaper the question is,did they carry out unauthorized work,if so report them to a official motor trade body who may investigate,i.e The Institute of the Motor Industry.

My tensioner/jockey wheel collapsed and that was pretty much the end of the engine. So it's certainly something that needs changing if worn.

That said, I would expect the garage to tell me about it before actually commencing with the work and adding unexpected charges.

Precisely my point. If the work needed doing it needed doing. Bearing in mind the car has only 40 to 50 thousand I would question it though.

Unfortunately my GF was not afforded the luxury of a decision on this point and the work was done without permission or explanation.

This is the reason for this thread ... is it reasonable to carry out the work without permission ... I honestly don't know, I asked for a service and was given a ball park figure (which is understandable). To charge over three times the original quote seems to smack of poor management to me.

In my mind, if I were to give a quote for a job, I'd stick as closely as possible to it and certainly inform the client if there were to be any extra charges before continuing. It would make me able to live with myself for starters ... let alone customer satisfaction! The garage is hardly going to get repeat custom from me, or anyone else who's been treated in the same way.

Archived