Friendship between men and women

What about those of us who don't DO drunken snogs and have been friends with some members of the opposite sex for 30 years without them ever occurring?

close friends or best friends?

note that a topic such as this has no wrong or right really. it's pretty much just people saying what they think.

i know people who say they have been friends with someone of the opposite sex for years. but, in my experience, except on here now, the majority do say they had times when things got weird. they tried to mend the relationship but things never were quite the same. they stayed 'friends' for years, but not so much the same as before.

Maybe it depends on how you met? I used to work with my best mate, I was never single when i met my friend, ive been with same fella for 13yrs, my mate has had different girlfriends over the years, we speak to each other every other day on the phone and text each other, I have no "sexual" feelings towards him wether he does me i dont know but hes never said anything lol, I think it is rare that the opposite sex can be close friends without anything else happening tho

Yes. I've got a couple of good male friends. Over the years they have been most useful especially when I was single in need of a spot of DIY and also from having different perspective to my female friends. They've even warned me off certain blokes and for that I will always be grateful.

I bet you're gorgeous, else your male friends wouldn't have bothered assisting.

x

i know. i've got to say, though, that people are more likely to respond with their 'ideal' head on. there would be the fumbles after a drunken night, the hugs that linger too long, the rebound vulnerability misunderstood etc.

maybe it can happen that they can have a platonic relationship but i'm skeptical.

Don't get me wrong mate I know a lot of people who have slipped up after a few beers and got freindship mixed up with interested but it's a particular group of people, generally in a similar situation, specifically two people who are genuinely just good friends and both in happy relationships and then one finds themself single for whatever reason and tries to use their mate (i've known male and female do it) as a substitue for the partner they have split up with as they already have an emotional bond with them as a good friend.

Platonic relationships are perfectly both possible and commonplace, mates of the opposite sex just have to be a bit careful if one of them suddenly finds themslves single that they don't mess up and cross the line in a vulnerable state.

Don't get me wrong mate I know a lot of people who have slipped up after a few beers and got freindship mixed up with interested but it's a particular group of people, generally in a similar situation, specifically two people who are genuinely just good friends and both in happy relationships and then one finds themself single for whatever reason and tries to use their mate (i've known male and female do it) as a substitue for the partner they have split up with as they already have an emotional bond with them as a good friend.

Platonic relationships are perfectly both possible and commonplace, mates of the opposite sex just have to be a bit careful if one of them suddenly finds themslves single that they don't mess up and cross the line in a vulnerable state.

again, not saying it's impossible, just saying my experience and hunch says it's extremely rare if not impossible. I'm sure a lot of people would attest to the opposite, I'm just not so convinced.

perhaps experience will prove me wrong one day.

Archived