Oh dear Oh dear, the government has goofed again!

And this is from the Daily Torygraph too. The government have assured the public that despite 20% budget cuts frontline policing will not be affected. However a FOI request shows that the Home Secretary or the Minister for Policing is unable to define what frontline policing actually is. How is it possible to base a policy on something which you cannot define?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8383846/We-dont-know-what-the-frontline-is-Home-Office-admits.html

To be fair, when responding to a question or releasing a statement, it's not really feasable to go through an exhaustive list of job titles held within the Police services that will or will not be affected. I take front line as meaning operational police officers. I don't believe it though, not a jot.

How is it possible to base a policy on something which you cannot define?

All political parties have been referring to "frontline" workers in various fields, not just police, for at least the last thirty years. Nobody ever did define what is frontline and what is not.

Aren't public services and unions just as guilty of using the front line term? I'm sure I've heard various police officers and union leaders saying that front line services will be affected by cuts.

Well, now the government has the chance to define the term. Thus ending any ambiguity (from all parties/sides).

That's certainly true, and would be a good idea. It's just a little ironic to see people attacking one government for failing to define the term, when another government that never did define it wasm never attacked by them. (And that's true of Tory voters attacking a previous Labour government, not just Labour voters attacking the current one.)

when another government that never did define it wasm never attacked by them.

There was no need for clarification before though, so no FOI request was made. Anyone was free to request this information previously.:thumbsup:

Archived