Ed Balls doesn't understand the difference between debt and deficit

Ed Balls on Newsnight tonight:

"We want to halve the deficit. That's a fundamental difference between us and the Tories. If you have a mortgage you pay it off over 20 years. People understand this is too far and too fast."

Sorry Ed but a mortgage is a form of debt. A deficit is when you spend more money than you bring in during the year (i.e. being overdrawn). A deficit adds to your debt, it isn't the debt itself. You can reduce your deficit without ever reducing your debt.

If you keep spending more than you bring in, then every year there will be a fresh deficit. The £160 billion deficit for the financial year 2009/2010 isn't the be all and end all, it just gets added to the ongoing national debt.

He then compared the deficit with a mortgage - saying it made more sense to pay it off over 25 years than 4 years.

You pay off the nation debt, you reduce the annual deficit.

For example, if I earn £10,000 a year and spend £12,000, I have a deficit of £2000. If I have a £100,00 mortgage at the same time, does reducing my overspend next year to £1000 (halving my deficit) affect it? No. The two are separate.

I'd have expected more from a former Economic Secretary to the Treasury and current Shadow Chancellor.

However, he was an economic advisor to Hamish McRuin, which could explain a great many things.

Guest sibon
Ed Balls on Newsnight tonight:

"We want to halve the deficit. That's a fundamental difference between us and the Tories. If you have a mortgage you pay it off over 20 years. People understand this is too far and too fast."

Sorry Ed but a mortgage is a form of debt. A deficit is when you spend more money than you bring in during the year (i.e. being overdrawn). A deficit adds to your debt, it isn't the debt itself. You can reduce your deficit without ever reducing your debt.

If you keep spending more than you bring in, then every year there will be a fresh deficit. The £160 billion deficit for the financial year 2009/2010 isn't the be all and end all, it just gets added to the ongoing national debt.

He then compared the deficit with a mortgage - saying it made more sense to pay it off over 25 years than 4 years.

You pay off the nation debt, you reduce the annual deficit.

For example, if I earn £10,000 a year and spend £12,000, I have a deficit of £2000. If I have a £100,00 mortgage at the same time, does reducing my overspend next year to £1000 (halving my deficit) affect it? No. The two are separate.

I'd have expected more from a former Economic Secretary to the Treasury and current Shadow Chancellor.

However, he was an economic advisor to Hamish McRuin, which could explain a great many things.

Do you think that, just possibly, you are becoming a bit obsessive?

Ed Balls clearly understands a lot about economics, you don't get to lecture about something at Harvard unless you know a bit. The Economist have pretty high editorial standards too. But, hey, maybe a random bloke on Sheffield Forum knows best.

"Politician tries to score cheap point" might have been a better title for your thread.... Or "Osbourne and Cameron have no idea what to do about the economy either". Both titles would be more accurate than your claim.

I have a debt, and a surplus by the way. I fully understand both... and maximise their benefits.

I would bet that Ed Balls fully understands the difference between debt and deficit; he also knows that the average voter does not. If he told the truth he would lose some of his parties support, all he is doing is what politicians do best, lie and mislead the population.

Sounds about right, wouldn't it be refreshing to hear some honest politicians for a change.

I would bet that Ed Balls fully understands the difference between debt and deficit; he also knows that the average voter does not. If he told the truth he would lose some of his parties support, all he is doing is what politicians do best, lie and mislead the population.

Your right, I had an argument at work with someone who thought that the spending deficit was a lie being spread by the Conservative party to justify their spending cuts.

It's these people that the Labour party are trying con, if they succeed god help us all.

So the choice seems to be either he is a liar or incompetent!

i see political hypocrisy is already being played out here. why is it when a lib dem or toryboy make a mistake, the red brigade are all over it complaining and calling them incompetent or liars, but if liebore do the same its the "all politicians are the same" response. yes they are all the same, but that doesn't mean you don't call them on their mistakes and show them for what they are.

Archived