Happy St Patrick's Day. What are you going to be doing?

Happy St Patrick's Day. What are you going to be doing?

There seems to be a huge white structure in town that will host music events this evening. I'm off to another music night elsewhere.

Its always struck me as odd that the English give more prominence to St Patrrick's Day that we do to St Georges Day, but what the hell. Its a good excuse to get out and mingle.:cool:

no irish blood in me, i only celeabrate St Georges to the annoyance of our ethnic friends.

Celebrating St George's day is unlikely to upset anyone. I've seen people from all sorts of cultures watching traditional English Morris Dancing and Sword dancing on SGD. Perhaps some enterprising individual might set up a beer tent, similar to the Guinness one, on Fargate this year. Especially for the people who want to 'celebrate' with alcohol!

As St Pat's day is celebrated by lots of non-Irish (Guinness lovers perhaps?) St George's day could see a bringing together of beer drinkers in a similar way. Now that would be cohesive. :love:

Can I ask you a question s35owl?

its not me, its my mate using my bloody username! Apologies about this. I've already had some muppet phoning me up threatening me down the phone. Can i change my password admin?

Its always struck me as odd that the English give more prominence to St Patrrick's Day that we do to St Georges Day

We don't. Virtually nobody is celebrating St Patrick's day today (in Sheffield). They're all celebrating national Guiness day. Don't believe me? Wander through town and ask any of the revellers who St Patrick was and why he was made the patron saint of Ireland - I'd bet good money that the vast majority would answer "don't know, don't care, I'm only out to try and get 4 free hats. Was it something to do with catching a leprechaun?".

It's amazing the power of marketing.

Archived