Happy St Patrick's Day. What are you going to be doing?

We don't. Virtually nobody is celebrating St Patrick's day today (in Sheffield). They're all celebrating national Guiness day. Don't believe me? Wander through town and ask any of the revellers who St Patrick was and why he was made the patron saint of Ireland - I'd bet good money that the vast majority would answer "don't know, don't care, I'm only out to try and get 4 free hats. Was it something to do with catching a leprechaun?".

It's amazing the power of marketing.

And I suppose you know who St George was?

St Patricks Day is the second saddest sight of the year after Valentines day.

Watching a load of sheeple drinking a drink they don't like, wearing absurd hats adopting patronising accents of a country thery have no connection to because they're told to by Guinness marketing makes me sad.

Before anyone bleats the usual excuses of it being a laugh and they're not doing any harm ask why they don't don a matadors outfit and get out of their head on San Miguel on St James day or dress as a cossack and get hammered on vodka on St Nicholas's day. Its because they're brainwashed by marketing and scared of not conforming.

St Patricks Day is the second saddest sight of the year after Valentines day.

Watching a load of sheeple drinking a drink they don't like, wearing absurd hats adopting patronising accents of a country thery have no connection to because they're told to by Guinness marketing makes me sad.

Before anyone bleats the usual excuses of it being a laugh and they're not doing any harm ask why they don't don a matadors outfit and get out of their head on San Miguel on St James day or dress as a cossack and get hammered on vodka on St Nicholas's day. Its because they're brainwashed by marketing and scared of not conforming.

Well I'm going out to a pub to listen to some good music. I'll drink a few pints of Moonshine and perhaps have a dram of Jameson's as a night cap. It's not half as sad as being stuck in watching the box.

I could have sworn I heard St George and Slade mentioned in the same sentence.:hihi:

St. George was actually Slade's lead guitarist. Despite being a saint, he was not allowed to wear a top hat with mirrors on because that honour went to the singer, Lord Nodsworth Holderton of Wolverhampton. This is because lords are more important than saints and reelly gud spellors.

Archived