Police Swoop On Daffodil Pickers

To be fair to the police, they probably only responded to a report of criminal damage and didn't know the full details before getting on site. I think it was the right response, a word in the ear of the mother and probably handled much better than the councillor who needlessly reported it instead of just going across himself. Non-story, I don't see why the mother had to go to the press as it was dealt with informally.

To be fair to the police, they probably only responded to a report of criminal damage and didn't know the full details before getting on site. I think it was the right response, a word in the ear of the mother and probably handled much better than the councillor who needlessly reported it instead of just going across himself. Non-story, I don't see why the mother had to go to the press as it was dealt with informally.

Quite possibly but it was relative of councillor and police could have gone straight to mother and said we've had a report instead of targeting a six and a four year old

Isn't this just a case of bobbies on the beat having a friendly word? Isn't that how it used to be in the "good old days"?

Yes but why did they not do this straight away instead of 20 minutes later?

I agree that seems to be wasting time, why not just go straight over and say "excuse me love, please don't let your kids pick all the daffodils, they're there for everybody". Job done. Back on the beat.

Perhaps the 20 mins was to give the chance for the mothers to do it, as they should have done. The child picks one, fair enough, but then the moms should have said something like " Oh that's lovely darling but we can't pick any more because they aren't ours to pick".

This story was on the Daily Mail website ... where it said two policeman sat in a car for twenty minutes then went over and spoke to the family .... it serves the parents right, the parents shouldn't let the kids pick the flowers. It does look as if the mother is determind to court publicity, making herself look a right idiot - making a mountain out of a molehill

This story was on the Daily Mail website ... where it said two policeman sat in a car for twenty minutes then went over and spoke to the family .... it serves the parents right, the parents shouldn't let the kids pick the flowers. It does look as if the mother is determind to court publicity, making herself look a right idiot - making a mountain out of a molehill

This is the article in todays local paper.....http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8918012.Park_daffodil_row_mum___I_m_amazed_by_the_attention_/?ref=mr

Errington said the officers watched the family for 20 minutes before speaking to them.

Call my cynical, but I wonder if her ability to judge time is about as developed as her sense of civic responsibility.

The only real argument going on in this thread is about why the police observed for 20 minutes... If this mother noticed two officers watching, for 20 minutes, why did she not go and ask them if there was a problem.

I don't believe that they watched for 20 minutes, I expect it was more like 2.

Archived