Bird spotted on Underbank reservoir today.

........an Oystercatcher.

I've never seen one of these before so I've just been looking it up and it was definately an Oystercatcher.

Apparantly there's an amber alert for them and they are mainly spotted at the coast and river estuaries.

It's a lovely striking looking bird with it's very long orange/red beak, red eyes and the white banding across the black wings when in flight.

Are they very common in this area? This one was all on it's lonesome.

Well, you live and learn. I've just been over to the RSPB website and it says that some oystercatchers are, indeed, migrating inland and learning to live on worms instead of shellfish. Perhaps it's not as uncommon as all that.

Although, if a species starts on the coastlines and migrates steadily inland, Sheffield is just about the last place they'd reach.

Blown inland by gales? Oystercatchers should not be found in Sheffield, they are coastal birds and feed on the shoreline.

It could have escaped from somewhere, I don't know if anyone in or near Sheffield keeps oystercatchers.

I've seen them on the tidal Trent in the Dunham Bridge area but never this far inland.

They do come inland. There was once a pair nesting near my parents, who live in the Midlands, probably about as far from the sea as you can get in England!

It was on an island in the middle of an old opencast coal mine (that had been landscaped and filled with water).

Oooooooo.....I feel very priveledged now. :)

I did think it was a bit odd after having read about it. I've certainly never seen one before.

It was the striking long red beak and red eyes that stood out......along with the black colouring with the white banding on the wings.

He appeared to be baiting me. lol. As soon as I got closer he would fly off a bit further along the dam wall. Each time he took off he cried out as well.

I'll keep my eyes open tomorrow now.

I've not seen one there but will keep an eye out, I've seen plenty in coastal areas but never so far inland! You see a lot of lapwings in this area, on the surrounding fields. When they start their breeding season they do some pretty spectacular air acrobatics!

He appeared to be baiting me. lol. As soon as I got closer he would fly off a bit further along the dam wall. Each time he took off he cried out as well.
That behaviour would make me wonder if it hasn't got a nest nearby :huh:

Archived