Bird spotted on Underbank reservoir today.

Well, you live and learn. I've just been over to the RSPB website and it says that some oystercatchers are, indeed, migrating inland and learning to live on worms instead of shellfish. Perhaps it's not as uncommon as all that.

Although, if a species starts on the coastlines and migrates steadily inland, Sheffield is just about the last place they'd reach.

Learn to get your facts straight before opening your mouth perhaps?

Oystercatchers have been regular visitors to Sheffield for several years now. Check out SBSG, the RSPB site is not local and is not up to date.:)

Thanks for the link manofstrad........looks like a very interesting site which I will visit properly later.

We have all sorts of birds visit our garden as well. Greater spotted woodpecker, tree creeper, heaps of finches, sparrows and tits. Wrens, collard doves, woodpigeons......the list is endless really.

Just recently we had a beautiful male pheasant take up residence for about 3 weeks. He was a splendid bird but has probably found himself a wife now because our garden no longer holds an attraction for him. :( He's gone!

I'm not the best at recognising different sorts of birds but I do try and I thoroughly enjoy watching them. We spend a fortune on seed etc to attract them but it's worth every penny. We've had a Jay here in the past along with a heron and a sparrowhawk. I love the collard doves though.....they really are territorial and the mid-air scraps when they are seeing the occasional magpie off are quite spectacular. The doves allways win. :hihi:

Might I slap your hand though? I thought your comments aimed at HeadingNorth were a little......errr........undeserved and abrubt. I thank you for the link to SBSG but you must appreciate that not everybody knows about this site......I certainly didn't. I used the RSPB site as my first point of identification and information as well.

Thankyou to everybody that's added to this thread. I'm going to take my camera with me tomorrow and hopefully the oystercatcher will be there again and I'll manage to get a shot of it.

Oh........9 Canada geese arrived a couple of days ago as well. No sign of the moorhens yet though. :)

Thanks for the link manofstrad........looks like a very interesting site which I will visit properly later.

We have all sorts of birds visit our garden as well. Greater spotted woodpecker, tree creeper, heaps of finches, sparrows and tits. Wrens, collard doves, woodpigeons......the list is endless really.

Just recently we had a beautiful male pheasant take up residence for about 3 weeks. He was a splendid bird but has probably found himself a wife now because our garden no longer holds an attraction for him. :( He's gone!

I'm not the best at recognising different sorts of birds but I do try and I thoroughly enjoy watching them. We spend a fortune on seed etc to attract them but it's worth every penny. We've had a Jay here in the past along with a heron and a sparrowhawk. I love the collard doves though.....they really are territorial and the mid-air scraps when they are seeing the occasional magpie off are quite spectacular. The doves allways win. :hihi:

Might I slap your hand though? I thought your comments aimed at HeadingNorth were a little......errr........undeserved and abrubt. I thank you for the link to SBSG but you must appreciate that not everybody knows about this site......I certainly didn't. I used the RSPB site as my first point of identification and information as well.

Thankyou to everybody that's added to this thread. I'm going to take my camera with me tomorrow and hopefully the oystercatcher will be there again and I'll manage to get a shot of it.

Oh........9 Canada geese arrived a couple of days ago as well. No sign of the moorhens yet though. :)

You're Welcome. There are some excellent spots in and around Sheffield for bird watching. My favourite is Redmires as it is close enough for me to cycle to. Further afield, and a car journey (for me) we have RVCP and the Orgreave lakes, both turn out some rarities every so often. Your Oystercatchers turn up there quite frequently too!:)

Archived