I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

Thank god there are people who like me see the wider picture, it's the throwing of good money after bad that annoys me.

Year after year we get the same old sob storys with little or no results to show for the previous years efforts..

As you are both so keen on the wider picture and letting nature take it's course I'm assuming that the next time you are either ill or injured you will apply this maxi to yourselves as well?

Correct, so see to our own first, then give to others. Do people in other countries have collections for us ?

I have to say I agree with you 100%

Take care of ours and then help others.

Comic Relief raises far more money than Children in need - why is that??

Because the money raised goes towards a far greater number of projects maybe?

If you want to "take care of ours" you can choose which charity you donate to.

Absolutely have to agree with you there.

When the others have adequate food, clean water from a tap in the kitchen, modern healthcare, adequate shelter and a flatscreen TV we can stop helping them and concentrate on ours.

Thank god there are people who like me see the wider picture, it's the throwing of good money after bad that annoys me.

Year after year we get the same old sob storys with little or no results to show for the previous years efforts..

You really do blunder verbally in a serious way. If we all gave our money away to a charity with "little or no result" would you not regard that as stupid at the least? You gave a tenner to an organisation that in your own words fails :loopy:

Guest sibon
Thank god there are people who like me see the wider picture.

Thank god that there aren't very many of you.

Narrow minds quite often have difficulties with wider pictures though.

In my opinion, by making a donation to such events as comic relief(which I have done might I add so I'm not pointing the finger)we're effectively condoning the suffering of the individuals that such events were designed to help.

Sending the occasional donation may help the plight of many short term, but what it also does is distract us from the grim truth that we(the general public)only have limited power and influence when making a donation whereas those who have the power and influence to make a significant difference which could eradicate poverty and suffering long term remain reluctant to do so.

It seems these individuals would much rather spend $100's of Billions searching for micro organisms in space or on the development of more affective ways of obliterating each other than spending it on the eradication of the poverty and suffering that such individuals are accountable for. That's how it's always been, that's how it will continue to be regardless of our donations.

In my opinion, by making a donation to such events as comic relief(which I have done might I add so I'm not pointing the finger)we're effectively condoning the suffering of the individuals that such events were designed to help.

Sending the occasional donation may help the plight of many short term, but what it also does is distract us from the grim truth that we(the general public)only have limited power and influence when making a donation whereas those who have the power and influence to make a significant difference which could eradicate poverty and suffering long term remain reluctant to do so.

It seems these individuals would much rather spend $100's of Billions searching for micro organisms in space or on the development of more affective ways of obliterating each other than spending it on the eradication of the poverty and suffering that such individuals are accountable for. That's how it's always been, that's how it will continue to be regardless of our donations.

All the more reason to donate. I think the question is more to do with our own personal individual ethics rather than the collective ethics of governments or agendas.

Archived