I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

I was wondering what you meant by holding accountable people accountable - the who and how and why questions. I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that all charitable donations should go to the target rather than people in the organisations that support them.
I believe the charitable organisations should be supported, I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be supported or that they are in any way responsible for anything or that they ought to be held accountable for anything, the same applies to members of the public who support the charities.

I was refering to how members of societies the world over rallying together to raise charitable donations to improve the lives of a few less fortunate than themselves when governments the world over are doing nothing.

Poverty is a unnecessary circumstance. There is no excuse for it anymore.

We're always being told there isn't enough money yet tens, sometimes hundreds of Billions of pounds and US dollors are flittered away each year on things that should never take precedence over poverty, neglect,famine etc.

I don't give to the 'chuggers' on Fargate, I know they make money by signing people up to their charities, likewise I don't sign up to door knockers. We have a couple of UK charities that we donate regularly to, even though we know money is spent on administering them.

I do believe that some of the money in Africa should be spent encouraging birth control, but when so many children die in infancy its hardly surprising that most women get pregnant fairly regularly. We were the same in this country before the advent of the NHS. Right up to the early 20th century nearly every family lost one or more children to an early death. Diseases linked to poor sanitation and malnutrition were rife. Many poor people relied on charity just to feed and clothe their children when there was no work.

For those that don't believe in helping those in other countries, Comic Relief supports many charities in the UK, and when I read the stories of some of the folk they've helped in the UK (link below), I'm glad we did our (albeit small) bit to support them. The people concerned may have enough money to live, but their isolation and other social problems have been helped by money donated via CR. When I compare my life and my family's life with some of these people, I'm grateful for my good fortune. I'd be ashamed of myself if I couldn't give just a little of the money I have for non-essentials to help those who have so little.

http://www.comicrelief.com/how-we-help/the-difference-we-have-made/personal-stories

I don't give to the 'chuggers' on Fargate, I know they make money by signing people up to their charities, likewise I don't sign up to door knockers. We have a couple of UK charities that we donate regularly to, even though we know money is spent on administering them.

I do believe that some of the money in Africa should be spent encouraging birth control, but when so many children die in infancy its hardly surprising that most women get pregnant fairly regularly. We were the same in this country before the advent of the NHS. Right up to the early 20th century nearly every family lost one or more children to an early death. Diseases linked to poor sanitation and malnutrition were rife. Many poor people relied on charity just to feed and clothe their children when there was no work.

For those that don't believe in helping those in other countries, Comic Relief supports many charities in the UK, and when I read the stories of some of the folk they've helped in the UK (link below), I'm glad we did our (albeit small) bit to support them. The people concerned may have enough money to live, but their isolation and other social problems have been helped by money donated via CR. When I compare my life and my family's life with some of these people, I'm grateful for my good fortune. I'd be ashamed of myself if I couldn't give just a little of the money I have for non-essentials to help those who have so little.

http://www.comicrelief.com/how-we-help/the-difference-we-have-made/personal-stories

I agree with this completely and don't see how anyone could read these stories and still be against what Comic Relief do for so many people.

However, money is spent on education regarding birth control in many African countries, obviously it can't be given to everyone but even if a small community is helped in this way it has got to be a huge help.

So what's the problem with comic relief then?

You're doing what you believe in, others are doing what they believe in.

Does anyone tell you the childrens charity is taking away from money given to the elderly for example?

The thing is though Spikey - I aint telling no-one who to give to. I am just expressing my views .....that ok for you - after all it is a forum

The thing is though Spikey - I aint telling no-one who to give to. I am just expressing my views .....that ok for you - after all it is a forum

It was a simple question.

You stated "take care of ours then help others"

I wondered if your opinion was that every charity should be for the same group of people?

It was a simple question.

You stated "take care of ours then help others"

I wondered if your opinion was that every charity should be for the same group of people?

yes i did say that. I would rather support local charities than the whole thing of comic relief. But that is my personal opinion and would never ever tell anyone how to donate their well earned money.

I completely agree with you in that respect, but you wouldn't continually make donations to a nieghbours child who is being neglected would you. What I'm saying is perhaps it's time we held those who are "accountable"; acountable.

It would depend on the circumstances of that child's neglect. Not all children are neglected through choice from a parental standpoint. If we know and can't get others to account for themselves then we account for ourselves in the knowledge we don't turn a blind eye.

I believe the charitable organisations should be supported, I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be supported or that they are in any way responsible for anything or that they ought to be held accountable for anything, the same applies to members of the public who support the charities.

I was refering to how members of societies the world over rallying together to raise charitable donations to improve the lives of a few less fortunate than themselves when governments the world over are doing nothing.

Poverty is a unnecessary circumstance. There is no excuse for it anymore.

We're always being told there isn't enough money yet tens, sometimes hundreds of Billions of pounds and US dollors are flittered away each year on things that should never take precedence over poverty, neglect,famine etc.

Totally agree but as you imply, until governments and corporates take on your ideal of "There is no excuse for it anymore" and act, it will continue.

Getting away from the subject slightly is, we waste billions of tons of food a year, much of that coming out of Africa. Some would say that's criminal. I also believe that to eliminate world poverty we have to eliminate greed, and on that note we're all ******* in the wind. So on reflection it comes down to us as individuals, and the tiny sacrifices we make which impact massivly on those in need.

Archived