I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

I dont think the view of take care of the people in this country regardless of what background they come from is narrow minded. People need our help.

Do you think that the problems faced by people in the UK are as severe as those faced in Sub-Saharan Africa then? If so why? If not don't you think that people should be helped according to need rather than geography?

I would be interested to know how much of the £74 million will be put into the UK.

40% is usual for comic relief I believe - so about 30 million.

Do you think that the problems faced by people in the UK are as severe as those faced in Sub-Saharan Africa then? If so why? If not don't you think that people should be helped according to need rather than geography?

40% is usual for comic relief I believe - so about 30 million.

I suppose it depends on how you look at things. DO I give money to help the elderly, Mentally ill, hospices, cancer charity - or people over in Africa....its a tough decision and i sincerely mean that but one I have made and don't feel guilty one bit about doing so either.

I do believe that some of the money in Africa should be spent encouraging birth control, but when so many children die in infancy its hardly surprising that most women get pregnant fairly regularly.

You can choose who you support though. How about the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) if that works for your beliefs?

There's no excuse for not giving something, somewhere, somehow, even if it's just an hour a week of your time for a cause that floats your boat. Anyone can. Everyone should.

(Not aimed at you Ms Macbeth)

Having read most of the posts on this thread I felt compelled to join the forum if only to post my point of view on the subject of Comic relief.

Last year my income fell to 12 grand. A poor income by UK standards but I slept in a warm bed EVERY night, ate well, watched hundreds of movies, listened to loads of music, have a dog, a pond full of Koi, drive an old Jaguar, have a PC, a laptop, the latest o2 phone and have broadband. I had and continue to enjoy to this day a good and privileged life.

Last night I watched a soft spoken sweet 8 year old African girl talking about wanting to crawl into the grave with her dying mother, crying because her body ached with hunger and having to look after her three year old brother and sister on her own!:o

I cannot speak for anybody else and I try not to judge people on this forum despite finding some of the views expressed pretty repugnant. :loopy:

What I will say is that I could not live with myself if I turned a blind eye to the suffering that goes on. I applaud Comic relief and ALL the celebrities who give their time and money to entertain me and at the same time raise some much needed money to help people like the little African girl how had nobody to look after her and her little brother or sister. And I am glad to give a bit of cash that I could just as easily spend on a pizza and a DVD if it helps.

These are human beings for crying out loud who have very very little and most of us have the means to help with very little effort on our part.

I suppose it depends on how you look at things. DO I give money to help the elderly, Mentally ill, hospices, cancer charity - or people over in Africa....its a tough decision and i sincerely mean that but one I have made and don't feel guilty one bit about doing so either.

Ive also made my decision like you. It was nice to see Macmillan Cancer Care collecting in Morrisons today. Plenty people were giving, including myself, to this worth cause.

Having read most of the posts on this thread I felt compelled to join the forum if only to post my point of view on the subject of Comic relief.

Last year my income fell to 12 grand. A poor income by UK standards but I slept in a warm bed EVERY night, ate well, watched hundreds of movies, listened to loads of music, have a dog, a pond full of Koi, drive an old Jaguar, have a PC, a laptop, the latest o2 phone and have broadband. I had and continue to enjoy to this day a good and privileged life.

Last night I watched a soft spoken sweet 8 year old African girl talking about wanting to crawl into the grave with her dying mother, crying because her body ached with hunger and having to look after her three year old brother and sister on her own!:o

I cannot speak for anybody else and I try not to judge people on this forum despite finding some of the views expressed pretty repugnant. :loopy:

What I will say is that I could not live with myself if I turned a blind eye to the suffering that goes on. I applaud Comic relief and ALL the celebrities who give their time and money to entertain me and at the same time raise some much needed money to help people like the little African girl how had nobody to look after her and her little brother or sister. And I am glad to give a bit of cash that I could just as easily spend on a pizza and a DVD if it helps.

These are human beings for crying out loud who have very very little and most of us have the means to help with very little effort on our part.

well said ...... and welcome to the forum :)

What a lovely and appropriate post.

I admire your opinion!

Thanks Shaznay & Spikey123.

I just felt so sorry for that poor girl and of course all those kids and adults that couldn't see for want of just a few quid or that mother whoose baby died of Malaria for want of just a couple of quid for a bus journey. It was truly shocking frankly.

Thanks Shaznay & Spikey123.

I just felt so sorry for that poor girl and of course all those kids and adults that couldn't see for want of just a few quid or that mother whoose baby died of Malaria for want a a couple of quid for a bus journey. It was truly shocking frankly.

It is awful.

People say its emotional blackmail but really they just refuse to accept what happens outside their own country.

I worked/backpacked my way around East and South Africa in 2009 and some of the things I experienced were truly shocking,

I don't think I ever fully comprehended the lives some people have to lead before my trip.

Archived