I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

Having read most of the posts on this thread I felt compelled to join the forum if only to post my point of view on the subject of Comic relief.

Last year my income fell to 12 grand. A poor income by UK standards but I slept in a warm bed EVERY night, ate well, watched hundreds of movies, listened to loads of music, have a dog, a pond full of Koi, drive an old Jaguar, have a PC, a laptop, the latest o2 phone and have broadband. I had and continue to enjoy to this day a good and privileged life.

Last night I watched a soft spoken sweet 8 year old African girl talking about wanting to crawl into the grave with her dying mother, crying because her body ached with hunger and having to look after her three year old brother and sister on her own!:o

I cannot speak for anybody else and I try not to judge people on this forum despite finding some of the views expressed pretty repugnant. :loopy:

What I will say is that I could not live with myself if I turned a blind eye to the suffering that goes on. I applaud Comic relief and ALL the celebrities who give their time and money to entertain me and at the same time raise some much needed money to help people like the little African girl how had nobody to look after her and her little brother or sister. And I am glad to give a bit of cash that I could just as easily spend on a pizza and a DVD if it helps.

These are human beings for crying out loud who have very very little and most of us have the means to help with very little effort on our part.

I am quite at peace with my decision to support local charities.

It is awful.

People say its emotional blackmail but really they just refuse to accept what happens outside their own country.

I worked/backpacked my way around East and South Africa in 2009 and some of the things I experienced were truly shocking,

I don't think I ever fully comprehended the lives some people have to lead before my trip.

I dont refuse to accept whats happening out their its there to see. But how much money have they recieved over the years and still are in the same situation year in year out. Maybe something needs to be done about the actual causes - they do say prevention is cheaper than the cause.

I dont refuse to accept whats happening out their its there to see. But how much money have they recieved over the years and still are in the same situation year in year out. Maybe something needs to be done about the actual causes - they do say prevention is cheaper than the cause.

You're ignoring the importance of each individual life and viewing Africa as a whole.

Do you expect that the total given to African countries each year by Comic Relief should cure poverty and disease in Africa?

People aren't in the same situation, A LOT is done to help people using the money raised.

Bold - completely ridiculous.

That's the same as me asking you why childrens charities still need money year in year out.

You're ignoring the importance of each individual life and viewing Africa as a whole.

Do you expect that the total given to African countries each year by Comic Relief should cure poverty and disease in Africa?

People aren't in the same situation, A LOT is done to help people using the money raised.

Please dont tell me what I am doing when its clearly not the case. I am not ignoring the importance at all.

I have very little spare cash to start with so if I choose to support a local charity then what is so wrong with that???

Bold - completely ridiculous.

That's the same as me asking you why childrens charities still need money year in year out.

The charity I work for dont get the adequate funding. Thats why we still need money year in year out

Please dont tell me what I am doing when its clearly not the case. I am not ignoring the importance at all.

I have very little spare cash to start with so if I choose to support a local charity then what is so wrong with that???

I didn't mention anything to do with which charities you support.

I have a problem with this:

"how much money have they recieved over the years and still are in the same situation year in year out".

The best thing the people of africa can do is to start digging. Just dig for dear life untill they hit an oil well, then Britain and the US will be stumbling over themselves to liberate them by toppling Mugabe and his regime. Sending money isn't enough is it, lets get over there and help them dig.

The best thing the people of africa can do is to start digging. Just dig for dear life untill they hit an oil well, then Britain and the US will be stumbling over themselves to liberate them by toppling Mugabe and his regime. Sending money isn't enough is it, lets get over there and help them dig.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12783233

I don't think that would be in the best interests of some countries.

I didn't mention anything to do with which charities you support.

I have a problem with this:

"how much money have they recieved over the years and still are in the same situation year in year out".

I never said you did.

You seem to have a problem with my reasons to not giving to comic relief. I have stated my reasons - end of.

You or no-one else will change my mind on this.

Archived