I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

You and the rest of the capitalist class may have "milked the planet for all its worth", but whilst you were doing that my relatives and I were being economically exploited - down mines, up chimneys and fighting your wars of territorial expansion.

If only it were that black and white.

International monetaru systems of which we are part (like it or not) work to maintain the status quo of 3rd world countries owing us a fortune.

We buy gold jewellery/diamonds that are not important but for which workers actually extracting them from the ground are paid very little. Buy buying such luxuries we are helping to maintain the status quo and keep the poor poor.

We can have a direct affect on poor countries by forcing them to sell the fruit and veg they grow stupidly cheaply. If you have bought flowers from the supermarket for example they may have been grown in Kenya - using valuable water that is diverted from poor areas.

It is not just the "capitilist class" that are responsible for the mess 3rd world countries are in. The average man is complicit too by not considering how his luxuries are obtained.

What some people on here seem to have missed is that 'Comic' Relief is a very disturbing example of the BBC yet again manipulating minds in order to get them to part with their cash.

Using obscenely wealthy celebrities to target those on meagre incomes - during a time of great austerity and public sector cuts - is emotional blackmail.

Unfortunately, most of those who actually make a donation are incapable of understanding that their generosity can actually be harmful to a developing nation. Rather than saving lives, in the long run they may be perpetuating poverty.

Throwing a tenner at the problem makes weak minded people feel better about themselves - but in the long term it changes nothing.

Its called personal choice,is it not ?:)

Which is fine. But arguing that individuals giving to poor people at home / abroad via comic relief somehow affects care for the elderly or the sick in Britain is just plain wrong.

If the elderly and sick are having a hard time of it in this country it is because of the Government and their spending priorities. Campaign against spending cuts, don't begrudge poverty stricken people in Africa a glimpse of hope.

Charity may begin at home, but it doesn't end there.

What some people on here seem to have missed is that 'Comic' Relief is a very disturbing example of the BBC yet again manipulating minds in order to get them to part with their cash.

Using obscenely wealthy celebrities to target those on meagre incomes - during a time of great austerity and public sector cuts - is emotional blackmail.

Unfortunately, most of those who actually make a donation are incapable of understanding that their generosity can actually be harmful to a developing nation. Rather than saving lives, in the long run they may be perpetuating poverty.

Throwing a tenner at the problem makes weak minded people feel better about themselves - but in the long term it changes nothing.

You have absolutely no idea of the changes the money makes, that is obvious from every post you make. So why do you hold this "opinion"?

Guest sibon

In the short term, it prevents some people getting malaria.

If you have any bright ideas about the long term, let's hear them. I might join you if you make sense.

It certainly is.

The way 'Comic' Relief (and other similar wealthy 'Luvvie' fronted charity schemes) operate is to instill a sense of guilt into those most vulnerable, in order to extract the maximum financial output.

This pressure is nothing short of emotional blackmail targetted at the weakest members of society.

We havent accused anyone of being weak !! We have just agreed that we dont want to do it. Its up to you what you do.

Please see interviewers posts, as it is that poster that I quoted in the post you replied to.

Guest sibon
Please see interviewers posts, as it is that poster that I quoted in the post you replied to.

Leave Pat alone please spikey. She is a very inexperienced poster. :)

Archived