I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

The BBC is selling us a lie (again). 'Comic' Relief cannot solve the internal problems of failed African states, which are exacerbated by corrupt and incompetent government and near constant civil war.

But that is not the point of the exercise, is it? 'Comic' Relief is mainly about making affluent white folk feel good about giving a tiny amount of their wealth to poor black folk.

Personally, I feel that such racist attitudes must be challenged.

I have to agree with you. It is just that, temporary relief. What they should do is educate them on birth control or drop a load of condoms of every year to stop them having millions of kids, delivering them into a miserable life at the same time as heaping more pressure on the situation.

I do feel for them but we have big problems of our own.

The BBC is selling us a lie (again). 'Comic' Relief cannot solve the internal problems of failed African states, which are exacerbated by corrupt and incompetent government and near constant civil war.

But that is not the point of the exercise, is it? 'Comic' Relief is mainly about making affluent white folk feel good about giving a tiny amount of their wealth to poor black folk.

Personally, I feel that such racist attitudes must be challenged.

You write articulately so you're obviously not stupid. Yet you appear to fail to realise that huge amounts of money collected via Comic Relief goes to help people here, in the UK as well as in Africa. No-one expects the money to 'solve the internal problems of failed African states', they just want to help very needy individuals and families. Your obvious dislike of the BBC is irrelevant to how people feel about helping other human beings. If you aren't moved by their plight, or don't want to support the charities, then don't. No one would argue with your right not to give anything.

However, calling people racist for offering help to their fellow humans is a pretty vile comment. People see the kind of suffering in parts of Africa that none of us in the affluent west have experienced in our lifetimes. The same people see worthwhile causes in this country that Comic Relief also supports. People don't need to be affluent or white to donate. Charity starts in our hearts not our pockets. However small a donation someone makes, it can make a huge difference to the recipient. That makes chucking 50p in a bucket worthwhile.

New legislation will shortly be introduced to incorporate Africa into our benefit payout system so Red Nose Day will no longer be required, this will become the " norm " like pay rises to government employees.

So nose to the grind stone again and again and etc., it's cheaper to give them "dosh" than get them over here.

However, calling people racist for offering help to their fellow humans is a pretty vile comment.

Actually it's a valid comment, as aid money (governmental AND charitable donations such as 'Comic' Relief) frequently destroy fledgling businesses in developing countries by taking away their market. Indigenous producers of mosquito nets have found themselves competing with international aid which provides the nets for free. What this does is to dampen down aspiration, and ensures a people remain dependent upon foreign nations for their survival.

Those with the old colonial attitude of viewing especially black Africans as akin to children, unable to take responsibility for their lives, see aid money as a 'white man's burden'. It is this negative colonial attitude that 'Comic' relief reinforces and relies upon.

I have read that the UK receives 40 per cent of the money raised by 'Comic' Relief, and Africa 60 per cent. I don't know if this is true, but 'Comic' Relief and international aid is very much a part of the problem in Africa. It is certainly not the solution.

But, at the end of the day, if it makes a wealthy First world person feel good about themselves then it is all worth it.

Actually it's a valid comment, as aid money (governmental AND charitable donations such as 'Comic' Relief) frequently destroy fledgling businesses in developing countries by taking away their market. Indigenous producers of mosquito nets have found themselves competing with international aid which provides the nets for free. What this does is to dampen down aspiration, and ensures a people remain dependent upon foreign nations for their survival.

Those with the old colonial attitude of viewing especially black Africans as akin to children, unable to take responsibility for their lives, see aid money as a 'white man's burden'. It is this negative colonial attitude that 'Comic' relief reinforces and relies upon.

I have read that the UK receives 40 per cent of the money raised by 'Comic' Relief, and Africa 60 per cent. I don't know if this is true, but 'Comic' Relief and international aid is very much a part of the problem in Africa. It is certainly not the solution.

But, at the end of the day, if it makes a wealthy First world person feel good about themselves then it is all worth it.

They will be dependant on the western countries forever because they will never be able to provide for themselves , that is our problem, maybe we should leave them to their own devices.

Calm down, people. This is a civilised, sophisticated society we live in. Sniping and insults solve nothing. Must watch rugby now as bored with childish insults being hurled about.

Having just read x number of posts and then got to yours I do have to say that I saw no sniping/ bickering - just good debate.

We can argue till the cows come home over Comic Relief. Those who give, and those who dont want to give.

The thing is, if we are educating these people, why do we keep having to give money year after year ?

If we keep telling nurses to feed our elderly why don't they?

We have milked the planet for all its worth since the industrial revolution and its time we put something back which includes helping people in Africa.

This statement is an excellent example of the reverse psychology used by what can only be termed as 'guilt-trip junkies'. I can imagine the really quite earnest expression on the face of the forum contributor as he or she typed this, their features filled with concern and worry.

Although I am certain that the person quoted above would never dare to use Kipling's expression 'white man's burden', the quoted statement is firm evidence of the Western liberal mentality that obligates us to constantly absolve ourselves of our ancestor's perceived sins through emotional self flagellation.

Archived