I'm Not Giving Comic Relief Any Of My Money

I'm not certain that you have ever been acquainted with the truth.

Now, do you feel that the blame for historical colonial injustices is hereditary? Do you feel, as some others do on here, that 'Comic' Relief is in reality a system for the delivery of financial reparations owed to Africa by the descendants of the imperialist powers?

'Comic' Relief is a remnant of the post-colonial guilt mentality which paralyses knee-jerk liberals into a specific response. It is about making weak minded people feel better about events that happened many, many years ago (in a vastly different era) and cannot ever be reversed.

This is the truth of the matter, no matter how much you try to spin it to fit your simplistic agenda.

That's pretty much the way I see it as well.

The developing world has had decade after decade of help from us, but they either squander it or fail to learn lessons.

That's pretty much the way I see it as well.

The developing world has had decade after decade of help from us, but they either squander it or fail to learn lessons.

My thoughts exactly. 'Comic' Relief, and similar very wealthy luvvie inspired initiatives, are nothing more than a form of guilt induced financial reparation programme for Africa. And excellent public relations for the BBC.

Let's not fool ourselves otherwise, people.

Drop the old colonial mentality - we don't run Africa anymore (thank heavens) and are not responsible for the continent's problems.

All you have done is inarticulately express Kipling's 'White Man's Burden' racist colonial attitude. Are you proud of yourself?

If I exploited Africa and the Colonies as some on here claim I'd like to know who's holding my share of the takings, when the British Empire was at its height the British working class were hardly better off than the we were supposed to be exploiting.

we live comfortably cos of the theft from others etc
Have you any idea what living conditions were like in the UK in the early part of the 20th century?

It would be very interesting to know how old you and many of these "we'll spend your money brigade" are.

All four of my late grandparents were born in the 19th century, my own and my wifes parents were born in the early part of the 20th century, let us see what actual knowledge you have of living conditions nin the UK back then.

If I exploited Africa and the Colonies as some on here claim I'd like to know who's holding my share of the takings, when the British Empire was at its height the British working class were hardly better off than the we were supposed to be exploiting.

In many cases the British working poor at home were far worse off than the natives in the colonies, who were bribed to cooperate with their new overlords by a combination of carrot and stick incentives. We British working class just got the stick.

It was the wealthy who made huge fortunes during the time of Empire - the same people who run things now, in fact. Cameron, Clegg, Osbourne...

My thoughts exactly. 'Comic' Relief, and similar very wealthy luvvie inspired initiatives, are nothing more than a form of guilt induced financial reparation programme for Africa. And excellent public relations for the BBC.

Let's not fool ourselves otherwise, people.

Oooops!...Too late! :hihi:

It was the wealthy who made huge fortunes during the time of Empire - the same people who run things now, in fact. Cameron, Clegg, Osbourne...

Something like 3% of the population.

People ought to go and look at Ringwood Hall the previous owners owned a large local coal mine, the miners and their families lived in extremely poor conditions (some exploiters).

Archived