Thank you Hague For UKs Next War!

I support the decision by Hague & Cameron to intervene in Libya.

Alongside other nations, our country has the fighter power to protect the civilian population of Benghazi from the massacre that Gaddafi explicity threatened them with.

There is a UN Security Council resolution authorising intervention and the UK has responded.

I supported the no-fly zone too, but we seem to be getting dragged into something new now with headline news about British jets attacking Libyan ground troops. That's not part of the UN resolution!

How far will the mission creep go?

I supported the no-fly zone too, but we seem to be getting dragged into something new now with headline news about British jets attacking Libyan ground troops. That's not part of the UN resolution!

How far will the mission creep go?

Protection of civilains was included in the resolution.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/17/un-security-council-resolution

"take all necessary measures, notwithstanding paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 (2011), to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory"

The phrase "all necessary measures" isn't defined and is open to interpretation.

It's not looking good. We're getting dragged into a war which neither side can win and we have allied ourselves to the Rebels without knowing anything about them.

Time to let the rebels know that the no fly zone has been enforced and now we leave.

Sort it out with Ghadaffi by yourselves.

If the war drags on let the Indians and Chinese get involved. They have a bad habit of sitting on their backsides and letting other people do the dirty work even though they rely heavily on Libyan oil.

The phrase "all necessary measures" isn't defined and is open to interpretation.

It's not looking good. We're getting dragged into a war which neither side can win and we have allied ourselves to the Rebels without knowing anything about them.

As far as I know they're attacking armoured vehicles (tanks self/propelled guns) that are firing into civillian areas, therefore they're preventing mass murder.

the last time i looked the people of Benghazi had Giant posters asking for zero outside interference!

You looked? In Benghazi? Wow - that's commitment to fact-checking for an SF post.

I have no doubt that there are some posters like the ones you've described - just like there were Libyans protesting outside Sheffield town hall yesterday. On the other hand, the F15 pilot who crashed there a couple of days ago was greeted as a here.

(Aside: Bassman62 - wow, that's a blast from the past!)

As far as I know they're attacking armoured vehicles (tanks self/propelled guns) that are firing into civillian areas, therefore they're preventing mass murder.

Justifiable so far, but the war can't be won for the rebels just though the use of air power can it?

I can see us getting dragged into this more than we want.

Justifiable so far, but the war can't be won for the rebels just though the use of air power can it?

I can see us getting dragged into this more than we want.

The fact is that we haven't the manpower or equipment to get involved in anything else.

I think and hope that it will be left to the other Arab states to take on the mantle of adjudicators if and when a stalemate is reached in Lybia.

So what happens if Gaddhaffi's forces pull back from around the 'rebel-occupied' cities, stop firing into them and (effectively) impose a siege?

If the 'rebels' come out of the cities and try to break the blockade or simply try to attack Gaddhaffi's forces (who will no longer be threatening the civilians in the cities) will NATO air Forces still be authorised to attack them under the terms of the UN resolution?

Archived