Does anyone remember the old phone boxes and their first mobile phone?

Remember Button A & B? And when we stopped using phone boxes in favour of a mobile phone?

It was a very long time between the old phone boxes (A&B Buttons) to mobiles. I think it was around 1968 that STD was introduced and the old boxes were replaced.From memory the new boxes had for the first time codes for all areas of the Uk.

I think mobiles followed over 25 years later

Had my first mobile, well i say mobile but more like transportable, in 1992. It was a phone with cord attached to a base unit. The readout was red and it couldn't store any numbers. In 94 progressed to a BT Jet that seemed really small at the time but, having seen one again about 6 months ago, it was huge. Also had a Motorola flip with the extra life battery that, if you clipped on your belt, pulled you over 4" Those were the days.

My first mobile was an Ericson, before they joined Sony. I was on the Cellnet service, operated by Securicor. This must have been in the early 1990's.

I also remember public 'phones with A & B buttons and calls cost 2d. When I was a kid in the early 1940's, the old candlestick 'phones were still in use.

Mike

My first mobile was an Ericson, before they joined Sony. I was on the Cellnet service, operated by Securicor. This must have been in the early 1990's.

I also remember public 'phones with A & B buttons and calls cost 2d. When I was a kid in the early 1940's, the old candlestick 'phones were still in use.

Mike

hiya the one who started this thread surely was having a laugh,remember the first mobile phone ?, you don't have to have a long memory to remember when nobody had one as for the public phone boxes they were few and far between and no vandalism either. as for the cost in the late 1940s it was 4d, when a pint of beer was 1s 0d just think of it 3 calls for a pint,

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the line of red phone boxes near the Post Office in town - there were loads of them yet often you still had to bloody well queue for one. Living on Granville Road in early 1980s all the local phone booths were beseiged by students ringing home (usually for more money from their parents). You either waited or walked on to find another one.

Had a rather unusual incident one evening whilst in a booth at the bottom of Granville Road ringing a former love of my life in Wath-upon-Dearne; chatting away to this lovely lady, then all of a sudden a hand thrust into the booth holding a bunch of dandelions... I open the door and look out and I see a somewhat tattily-dressed gentleman of West Indian origin sauntering away... kind of surreal...

Archived