Does anyone remember the old phone boxes and their first mobile phone?

I had a NEC in the early 90s. Saved up vouchers from Sainsburys to get it cheaper. :hihi: I got it at the time as I worked in Leeds and the train was often late so could let my then b/f know when to come and collect me. I remember it charged by the minute and it was 35p a minute! We had the one phone between us and when the ex lost it on a drunken night out, someone honest even returned it! I bought a bagpuss cover for it to stop him borrowing it:hihi:

Replaced it with a Nokia phone each in about 1996 on inclusive contracts and remember a friend in 1998 showing me that I could text message on it... I thought that was amazing!

I also had a cool Motorola work phone at the time with a big flip on it and an extending aerial. When I first got that in 1997, it was the DB's but by 2000 when I still had that work phone it was a bit past it.

The next one was also a Nokia but I've not been that brand loyal since, having had two Sony Eriksons, another phone I can't remember, another Sony Erikson and now an I phone. The 1996 Nokia was still my favourite phone though, the battery would last forever!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember smellyy phone boxes and my first mobile.

Big brick of a thing with a curly wire to the handset.

God that took me back..I was in sales at the time and persuaded my director to get me one of those new fangled Motorola jobbies, it cost about £120,which I still have saving for my kids to take to Antiques Roadshow in 50 year's time. It would have been about 1989 or '90 and had a useful secondary app as a brick size means of self defence. It had its own docking station, which was of equal size. I never actually carried the phone anywhere, it just sat in the car and was quite a talking point for passengers.

My father was a policeman in the 50s and 60s and this was in the time when there were no walkie talkies. I've got about half a dozen brass discs ,same size as an old penny and with holes in them so they're the same weight.

These were issued to police to use in phone boxes in an emergency!!

I have a red telephone box on my drive,I bought it 23yrs ago from Kilnhurst where they were flat packing them to send to Japan.Mine originally came from Hemswell and I often wonder how many last call s were made from it during the war.RAF Hemswell was an operational base for bombers and their crews suffered severely.Incidently the hinges are solid brass,its the check straps which are leather,the door is Burma teak.These boxes were designed in 1935 by Gilbert Scott.In 1952-53 the crown change from the Kings crown to the Queens,they had to cut the Kings out in a wedge shape and change it for the Queens,look closely the next time you see one.

Archived