Disabled scooter stopped for no tax disc

going to hillsbrough down wordsworth ave this morning a police car with blue flashing lights..the trafic was being slowed down on one side..i stoped my car as a disabled man,was indistress,he could hardley walk having one leg and upper arm problems.i asked if i could help? the police officer said no.i ased the scooter driver he said iv no tax on my scooter..what kind of joke is this..the police said he was driving at 4mph on a pavement without tax....how low is it getting for police....must be on hard times..police told me to move on or they would take action towards me for hindering the coarse of the law..shamefull

hi m8 i saw police with that guy m8 it was about just after 9.15 this morning after dropping kids off @school.they made him get off his scooter and was pushing it to police car...was his batteries flat??

going to hillsbrough down wordsworth ave this morning a police car with blue flashing lights..the trafic was being slowed down on one side..i stoped my car as a disabled man,was indistress,he could hardley walk having one leg and upper arm problems.i asked if i could help? the police officer said no.i ased the scooter driver he said iv no tax on my scooter..what kind of joke is this..the police said he was driving at 4mph on a pavement without tax....how low is it getting for police....must be on hard times..police told me to move on or they would take action towards me for hindering the coarse of the law..shamefull

its just about as low as police would go they police tell us to respect the law yeah right when the time comes police give the public repsect will be the time we will respect the law at the moment the law is an ass and unless you fit into a certain minority of people you aint got no chance with the police they just treat us like scum

well they can't drive on a road with it so why should it be taxed ? My father has one and you can only use it on a pavement. If they have to be taxed then why no registration?

Surely A vehicle can only be taxed if it is a road worthy vehicle and a mobility scooter clearly isn't.

Actually, many mobility scooters are roadworthy and that's why they have to display a tax disc.

And most of them are too big and too fast for what they are it's ridiculous.

The scooters are too fast at all. That's like saying a car is too fast to be on the road. The issue lies solely with the 'driver' driving it too fast. All scooters have throttles and a variable 'speed limiter'. It's the driver's choice to use that speed appropiately or not in 99.9% of cases. Hence why I will always believe that there should be some form of training/test before you're allowed one. You need to do so with all other motorised vehicles so why not mobilty scooters, even moreso since they go into pedestrianised areas such as shopping centres etc.

. I have a lot of contact with disabled people and I think they are really THE LAST group of people that should be targeted in this way ... maybe the money would be better spent catching the 1000's of uninsured and untaxed vehicles on our streets

I also have a lot of contact, given that I LIVE with my disabled father. And even he thinks that mobility scooters should have some form of licencing. I suspect many other genuine disabled users would agree as from my perspective it's usually those that don't need them that cause the problems.

The Tax would be free if he is genuinely disabled, if he ahs let his tax expire then that's just bloody lazy !

As for the Police causing distress to him.. I think thats just someone adding a bit of poetic licence to make the story... well a story !

Ok fair play to you, I also live with my father who is severely handicapped. I respect your opinion, but really , don't you already have to deal with enough paperwork and red tape !

It's 5 mins to fill in the initial tax form then 90 secs every year online to sort the tax. It's hardly a hassle.

I'm sure that you'll agree that having some form of training for a scooter would probably be an hour or two out of one day and if in that time it's learnt how to ride safely around others and how to operate the vehicle properly then it's worth it.

Personally when it comes to the safety of my father and anyone around he could potentially injure whilst he enjoys his freedom I don't see it as a hassle at all.

Archived